iPad Available in US on April 3 [telecom]

iPad Available in US on April 3

Pre-Order on March 12

CUPERTINO, California-March 5, 2010-Apple today announced that its magical and revolutionary iPad will be available in the US on Saturday, April 3, for Wi-Fi models and in late April for Wi-Fi + 3G models. In addition, all models of iPad will be available in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and the UK in late April.

Beginning a week from today, on March 12, US customers can pre-order both Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + 3G models from Apple's online store

formatting link
or reserve a Wi-Fi model to pick up on Saturday, April 3, at an Apple retail store.

formatting link

***** Moderator's Note *****

Here's a great illustration of how hard it is to draw a line between "Telecommunications" and "Whatever the hell this new thing is". I read the blurb on Apple's web site, searched around Google for ten minutes, and found out I need a user ID to search the "App" store before I gave up and admitted that I _STILL_ don't know if this thing is a phone or could be used as a phone with the right "App" or might be part of an Asterisk system with the right software - or is just another expensive and annoying toy for Yuppies to display during corporate meetings.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

Seems like the latter to me. :-)

Looking at these 2 pages:

it's too large to hold like a phone so I suppose one must use a Bluetooth headset if this device is really capable of operating as a cellphone.

At Height: 9.56 inches (242.8 mm) Width: 7.47 inches (189.7 mm) Depth: 0.5 inch (13.4 mm) Weight: 1.5 pounds (0.68 kg) Wi-Fi model;1.6 pounds (0.73 kg) Wi-Fi+3G

it's too big for a belt holster or a shirt/trouser pocket. Perhaps with a neck strap one could dangle it like like a necklace or with Velcro one could attach it to a hat for transport. It looks like it really needs a wrist strap so one doesn't drop and break it as I've seen happen to everyone I know who has/had an iPhone.

I also don't understand the Windows 7/Vista/XP aspect of it as detailed on the "specs" URL (above) -- does one have to attach the iPad to a PC in order to do anything with it over USB? Is the iPad solely a conduit to iTunes for a PC? It's not clear what it does.

As much as I like gadgets, the iPad doesn't look like something I'd be buying.

Reply to
Thad Floryan
*Snip*

It has it's uses-

formatting link
H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

Ah, that clarifies things perfectly. Thank you!

:-)

Reply to
Thad Floryan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.