In and Out Of Office: Putting iPads To Work [telecom]

In and Out Of Office: Putting iPads To Work March 16, 2011 by Walter S. Mossberg

While it can perform many of the functions of a PC or Mac, Apple's iPad- including the new iPad 2-lacks two of the most common and frequently used features of a traditional computer. It has no standard USB port for connecting a flash drive or external hard disk, so you can't move files into and out of it from these devices. And it doesn't have a systemwide, user-accessible file system like those on traditional computers.

These omissions have led many readers to ask me how you get files-especially Microsoft Office files and PDFs-into and out of iPads. They have bolstered the contention that the popular tablet is really just a "consumption device," not a productivity tool.

So, here's a brief primer on how to get such documents into and out of an iPad, and how to view, edit and create them on the tablet. This isn't an in-depth product review, though I've tested every product and method I will mention here. It's merely a quick, practical guide to how to work with documents on an iPad.

formatting link

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.