Government Report: No High Speed Broadband Competition [telecom]

Government Report: No High Speed Broadband Competition: Blame AT&T, Verizon & CenturyLink's Two Decades of Broken Promises.

by Bruce Kushnick

In the last article about broadband I supplied a list of the "video dialtone" deployments that were filed at the FCC by what are now AT&T, Verizon and Centurylink to upgrade the utility copper networks and replace these wires with fiber optics wires -- which never happened. ...

We estimate that by 2014, America paid about $400 billion extra in higher phone costs and tax perks to the companies, and based on more recent uncoverings of the phone companies' financials, this number is low.

formatting link

-or-

formatting link

Reply to
Bill Horne
Loading thread data ...

The cited report states seven conclusions, one of which is:

Once again I ask my long-standing question: Does building two wireline networks really promote lower retail prices?

In my experience it costs a lot of money to build a wireline network. Overbuilding an existing wireline network would cost *at least as much* -- and probably more than the cost of building the first network. In a previous (2004) T-D post I wrote an extensive post addressing this issue:

"Re: Verizon Cable TV?" 5 posts by 4 authors. 8/22/04.

formatting link

-or-

formatting link

In this report I cited three reasons to justify my argument:

1. Simple economics.
  2. Buried-cable construction costs.
  3. Franchise requirements.

But even if the cost of the second network were the same as the first network, it should be obvious that the total capital investment to build two networks would be double the investment to build one network.

Yet the number of potential subscribers would remain the same, so each company's potential subscriber base would be reduced. If, for example, each company got 50% of the subscribers, its total revenue would be only half of the total. In short, each company's ROI would be cut in half.

I simply don't understand how this situation would result in lower retail prices.

Neal McLain

Reply to
Neal McLain

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.