For restless thumbs, a necessary discipline [telecom]

For restless thumbs, a necessary discipline By Megan Woolhouse and Stephanie Ebbert, Globe Staff | July 3, 2010

Chantal Boxer wanted someone - anyone - to help her kick the habit.

A personal concierge who is often on the road, she uses her BlackBerry to text and e-mail clients, friends, and associates from behind the wheel of her sport utility vehicle. She knows she's just one LOL away from a crash.

Now help is on the way. Yesterday, the governor stepped in, signing a law that bans texting while driving.

"I am definitely an offender,'' said Boxer, 34. "I'll tell you, this new law is going to change my life.''

The new law, which takes effect in October, could force painful changes for many. The constant checking, the inability to look away from an iPhone, and the aching thumbs represent more than a guilty indulgence; the phones are an increasingly necessary lifeline to work and family. It seems like everyone, from teenagers to college presidents, is tethered to the devices, using an idle minute at a red traffic light as an opportunity to check e-mail or tap out a text message.

formatting link

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.