Re: Unlisted Phone Number

Patrick,

> I'm not sure if you can help me but I've not been able to find > information on when "unlisted" phone numbers first came to use. > I'm a novelist, working on my third book, and trying to find this > info. > Can you help or point me in the right direction? > Many thanks, > Patricia > [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I do not know when they first got > started, but I can tell you that in the 1922 Chicago Telephone > Company alphabetical directory, on the page entitled "Services > You Can Obtain From Our Business Office" non-published/unlisted > phone numbers were available at the rate of an additional five > cents per month. PAT]
[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: According to telco there is an additional effort involved. Telco estimates a certain time frame required for each directory inquiry call. This time frame is completely lost when telco has to argue with callers about numbers being unlisted and/or unpublished, i.e. time spent listening to callers telling the operator how dumb she is, demanding to speak with a supervisor, insisting 'party would want to speak with me', impersonating a police officer with a 'right to know number', etc. All those needless conversations between caller and operator take additional time. That, telco says, is where the extra money is spent; in dealing with persistent callers. PAT]
Reply to
Steve Crow
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.