Buying prepaid SIM cards in advance [telecom]

My son is visiting Germany for about 10 days during in summer 2012. He has a unlocked GSM phone. I would like to get him a German SIM card with enough credit on it for him to have broadband access and to be able to make calls and SMS while over there. The fly in the ointment is I don't know if he'll have time to set that up given he'll be on school trip with limited free time.

Is it possible for buy one ahead of time allowing me to set it up for him? I have searched online but all I seem to find are absolute ripoff plans. He'd be better off with global roaming from AT&T.

John

Reply to
John Mayson
Loading thread data ...

Telestial offers SIMs from e-plus and Vodafone that you can activate before going:

formatting link
Poking around the e-plus web site, it looks like there are some pretty cheap data add-ons.

formatting link
My experience in Europe is that there are mobile phone stores about every two blocks from one end of the continent to the other, so he's probably better off finding an e-plus store when he gets there, telling them what he needs, and getting a SIM on the spot.

Calls to the US are expensive, but there are some very cheap dialround services.

R's, John

Reply to
John Levine

Don't see why not. I just purchased a couple of VodaFone SIMs for use in the UK on eBay. They came preloaded with 1 Pound Sterling and had a UK phone number assigned that I was able to confirm as valid.

What I haven't been able to do is top up the card with some additional funding. The VodaFone web site only accepts credit cards with UK addresses. Not a huge problem as I can top it up at the first UK airport at most stores, but annoying.

Reply to
Robert Neville

My daughter recently spent 2 months in Italy for school. I wanted her to be able to use my old GSM cellphone, and researched it extensively. I found Cellular Abroad had the best arrangement for US travelers, and I had the phone ready for her before she left.

I don't know about broadband access, though.

They have plans for most foreign countries. I recommend checking their website to see if they will suit your needs.

formatting link
Call them, they're easy to reach and very resp>

Reply to
John Meissen

All German prepaid accounts offer data albeit at a non trivial rate. As for getting the card as Mr Levine wrote you can go through telestial.com but for the convenience of getting a card in advance and from them you'll pay a very hefty premium. If it's at all possible it's better that you get a SIM when you arrive in Germany. SIM availability in Europe is very easy and you can even get starter SIM kits at corner stores. Even at arrival in Frankfurt or other major airport there may even be a facility in the airport to obtain a SIM. Even if not pretty much any town will likely have a place to purchase a SIM.

Go to

formatting link
for details of German prepaid GSM SIMs. Again, if at all possible I'd recommend waiting til arrival in Germany rather than using Telestial. Telestial's only advantage is that you'll know the number prior to landing in Europe. e.g. for e+ Telestial wants $55 for the starter packet. Getting the card locally is DM19.90. Vodafone packet is $49 from Telestial and DM19.95 in Germany. Installing a SIM packet is trivial as long as you can figure out how to install the SIM card (usually removing a battery and inserting the card.)

Reply to
Joseph Singer

There's an E-Plus store in the Frankfurt airport, in the underground mall near the airport train station:

formatting link
R's, John

Reply to
John Levine

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.