AT&T responds to Senator Franken's questions about Callier IQ [telecom]

AT&T has sent a letter to Senator Al Franken, denying that it has used Caller IQ software for snooping on its customers. The letter, which appears on the Senator's official website, was sent by Timothy P. McKone, AT&T Executive Vice President for Federal Relations.

McKone's opening paragraph:

I am responding to your letter to AT&T Inc. regarding AT&T's use of Carrier IQ ("CIQ") software. Let me start by saying that AT&T uses CIQ software /only/ to collect diagnostic information about its network to improve the customer experience. We do not use CIQ to obtain the contents of cuttomers' communications, to track where our customer go on the Internet, or to track customer location. The information is protected in secure storage with restricted access.

The rest of the letter is at

formatting link

The cynic in me wonders why the denial was so clearly limited to Caller IQ: does AT&T have and/or use the capabilities mentioned, implemented via other means?

Reply to
Bill Horne
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.