Apple sued over iOS 9's eagerness to chew up cellular data

Apple sued over iOS 9's eagerness to chew up cellular data

Not happy that iOS 9's WiFi Assist feature is quietly gobbling your iPhone's cellular data for the sake of boosting your WiFi performance? You're not alone -- and you might get compensation for your troubles. A California-based couple has filed a class action lawsuit accusing Apple of doing too little to warn iPhone owners about WiFi Assist's data use. Allegedly, the guide it posted in response to concerns about the feature doesn't cut the mustard. It "downplays" the kind of overage charges you could rack up after upgrading to the newer iOS revision, according to the complaint.

formatting link

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

Samsung has a similar feature called "Download booster" in the Galaxy S6. It can speed up downloads of files greater than about

30MB by downloading via LTE and Wi-Fi simultaneously. It is, however, defaulted OFF, and they do warn, right at the point you go to turn it on, "Downloading via mobile networks may result in additional charges depending on your payment plan". I haven't used it. Most of the updates I've downloaded are under 30MB and I have no easy way of knowing how large they will be in advance.

The S6 I recently got has racked up about 4GB of *Wi-Fi* data in the last month, largely from updating just about all the software that came with the phone, sometimes more than once, and new apps, but something like 0.3GB of LTE data. Perhaps I've been a little over cautious about that.

Wi-Fi Calling on the S6 also lets you shift LTE traffic to Wi-Fi from home if you've got your own home Wi-Fi. It did take a little work to figure out what holes I had to punch in the firewall to make it work correctly, though.

Reply to
Gordon Burditt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.