A stake in the ground for IPv6 [telecom]

From an entry in the Cybertelecom-L list:

according to

formatting link
everyone is going to start using IPv6 on June 6.

I may have to buy a new router: or connect my Linux PC directly to the net! Has anyone else heard about this 'official' date for IPv6.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Horne
Loading thread data ...

Have you actually read the FAQ at that site? For ISPs, the goal is 1% customer availability by that date.

Reply to
Barry Margolin

Or, take an old low-power PC, and configure it with a small Linux distribution to turn it into a dual-stack router.

A lot of the older 802.11g routers (e.g. WRT54G and the like) can run OpenWRT firmware, which is a compact Linux distro that can support both IPv4 and IPv6, firewalling/NATing, etc.

It's a followup to a similar, but smaller experiment exactly one year earlier. It's not an attempt to obsolete IPv4 all at once... just to get a significant set of services up and running on IPv6 in parallel on a full-time basis.

IPv6 is going to take quite a while to be fully deployed - a lot of the residential ISPs have no current IPv6 support and no firm plans to roll it out.

If your ISP doesn't provide IPv6 natively, you can get a free IPv6-in-IPv4 "tunnel" through Hurricane Electric or some other providers. This would let you put your home LAN on IPv6, with IPv6 connectivity through the tunnel.

Reply to
Dave Platt

Not a bad idea, unless your router is like mine, integrated into the DSL modem that my phone company provides. I have a separate box on the LAN doing DNS and DHCP, but I can't separate out the router.

[Those] IPv6 tunnels work great if you have a fixed IPv4 address and aren't behind a router that does helpful filtering. (See, for example,
formatting link
My home LAN has a fixed external IP, but the router won't pass the protocol 41 packets that the tunnel uses, so I'm out of luck. I can use Teredo on individual PCs, but that's a kludge and it doesn't give me a fixed IPv6 address.

R's, John

***** Moderator's Note *****

I'm wondering if the ILECs will try to push fiber-optic systems, rather than upgrading the exisitng ADSL equipments to handle IPv6. Come to think of it, what's the latest projection for the IPv4 exhaust date?

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
John Levine

My ILEC says that since there are no businesses on my street, if I want fiber, I have to pay the cost to bring it here. It's only three blocks, but it's not worth it.

R's, John

***** Moderator's Note *****

I understand, but they might decide that maintaining both IPv4 and IPv6 components costs more than moving you to fiber. Time will tell.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
John Levine

In article ,

The IPv4 "free pool" is _gone_ -- IANA has no more IPv4 blocks to give out to regional registries. When the registries will 'run out' of address blocks to hand out depends on the registry. (oddly enough. :) the expected run-out dates for the various regional registries ranges from last year ('Asia/Pacific') to around 5 years from now (Africa). For North America, the projected run-out is about 21 months from now -- 95% confidence interval is about +/- 5 months.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

If your ISP supports PPPoE (Qwest/Centurylink does), you most likely can put your integrated DSL modem/router into a bridge mode, and do the layer-3 termination on any device you choose beyond the bridge..

If I had DSL still, that is the way I'd run, with PPPoE termination handled on my firewall beyond the DSL bridge interfacing the ATM side.

I'm most familure with Qwest/Century-Links FTTN system, I don't know about what other ILECs are doing (outside of Verizon's FIOS system).

The Qwest FTTN still mostly uses ADSL2+ (or VDSL), which still runs over ATM between the CPE and the DSLAM before the DSLAM gets the packets put onto the GigE backbone. The Layer-3 termination functions by the LNS broadband termination devices are seperate devices than the DSLAMs, and can be upgraded independantly. If they are using Cisco and/or Juniper, the LNSs probably already support IPv6 and have for years.

The biggest problem with DSL is that almost nothing in the consumer grade market supports IPv6 native for the DSL Modem/combo router. Even the latest boxes, let alone anything in the past. There are a few lesser brands mostly in Europe that do.

I've heard that CenturyLink is testing a new box from ActionTec that supposedly will let them roll out IPv6. But it isn't shipping yet. Most likely, there won't be a backport of this to any existing device.

The enterprise DSL router/firewall type devices (ie. made by Fortinet or Juniper or Cisco) would support IPv6, but the typical consumer isn't going to be paying $500-$1000 for a DSL router. Going back to the PPPoE type setup, if you bridge through your DSL and can do PPPoE auth, you can have almost anything on the backend that does PPPoE and can support IPv6. I have several customers doing this with linux type boxes.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Unfortunately, Carriers are going to greatly expand using Carrier Grade NAT for their residential customers, pulling back their IP addresses for data center / server use.

This saves you from shelling out $100 for an expensive new router, and saves the world from a lot of the possibilities that the Internet used to offer.

Brave New World.

Greetings Marc

--

-------------------------------------- !! No courtesy copies, please !! ----- Marc Haber | " Questions are the | Mailadresse im Header Mannheim, Germany | Beginning of Wisdom " |

formatting link
by Nature | Lt. Worf, TNG "Rightful Heir" | Fon: *49 621 72739834

Reply to
Marc Haber

I've poked around >> I'm wondering if the ILECs will try to push fiber-optic systems,

Since Verizon's FIoS deployment has come to a screeching halt, probably not.

R's, John

Reply to
John Levine

Doug McIntyre wrote in :

That's what I do (well, with pptp, because that is what my older ADSL2 modem supports).

In particular:

AVM - all the latest Fritz! boxes support IPv6. As tunnels (like hurricane electric) or as DHCP-PD or 6RD.

Technicolor - seems to have a new model supporting a form of IPv6, probably DHCP-PD, but all I know is hearsay.

6RD is a method of configuring IPv6 by 'piggybacking' on IPv4 dhcp requests.

DHCP-PD (prefix delegation) is a method of configuring IPv6 independently of the IPv4 network.

Koos

Reply to
Koos van den Hout

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.