4G phone will quickly change things [telecom]

TECH LAB

4G phone will quickly change things

By Hiawatha Bray, Globe Staff | May 27, 2010

BALTIMORE - I'm only here for the day. No time to dine on soft-shell crab; barely enough for a glance at Camden Yards, where the Orioles play baseball. I'm a digital tourist, here mainly to stare at a glowing LCD screen.

Still, I'm enjoying the tiny view; Web pages and Internet videos downloaded at amazing speed by a device that fits into a shirt pocket, lets me shoot high-definition videos, and can still be used to call the folks back home.

It's called the EVO 4G, and it's our first glimpse at the next big thing in smartphones. When cellular carrier Sprint Nextel Corp. begins selling the EVO on June 4, it will be America's first 4G cellphone, capable of far greater speed than the 3G iPhones and BlackBerries we have come to love.

But why fly 360 miles to check it out? Because Boston doesn't have a working 4G network yet. Baltimore is one of about two dozen US cities where you can find one. Sprint says it's building more 4G coverage as fast as it can; Boston is on the list for sometime this year.

formatting link

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

My wife and I recently went on an auto trip through much of Arizona. The only place we saw 3G was in the Tucson and Phoeniz areas. Mile upon endless mile of the old "E" protocol. Same for eastern California along the High Sierra.

They did a good job with the old "E" network, both from a population center and large geographical coverage standpoint. Not so, though with

3G and that probably will be the same, or worse, with 4G.

So, as long as a person remains in "center city" they will be covered (whenever congestion lets up).

Reply to
Sam Spade

You are lucky you even got anything in the Sierras. I was up in the area called the Yuba Foothills and there were major dead spots once you got out of the cities. I did see something though AT&T was putting Fiber along Marysville Road though Oregon House towards Brownsville. I would guess they are planning to upgrade the switches in both Oregon House and Challenge, I have friends that will like that.

Reply to
Steven

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.