Security Equipment Recommendations

my predecessor setup a system which had a camera connected to a VCR and then to small TV set. It hasn't worked for the longest time and now we are planning on getting new stuff. What equipment should i get to get equivalent functionality. We want camera which can work in the dark as well as light settings. Digital recorder is preferable to VCR. I picked out some products from honeywellvideo website but not sure if this is what i need

Digital Recorder:

formatting link
Camera:
formatting link
Monitor:
formatting link
If I can get the same functionality with lower priced products (or if i picked out the wrong things) please advise.

Thank you very much

Reply to
asdf
Loading thread data ...

I've seen a demo of some real slick Linux-bases security camera applications. Run in on a plain PC with a big disk and it will record many hours of video. It will handle a bunch of cameras and even use the cheapo CCD cameras you can buy in the computer store.

Sorry. I can't recall the names of the pakages, but the price was right.

Reply to
Al Dykes

Howdy -

The cameras and monitors from Honeywell Video are fine. You want to steer away from pc or linux based recorders in my opinion. For security use, you don't want to be bothered with system crashes, process freezes, updates, etc. Hardware based DVR's are much more reliable, but cost more. You'll be happier in the long run with a hardware DVR. Other brands to consider for DVR's would be Dedicated Micros or Kalatel. An alternative to buying cameras that will work in the dark, is purchasing a Dynapel video enhancement box. Then you can use any cameras and just view the adjusted video.

Good luck. Chris Sonitrol Savannah

Reply to
jenniferduncan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.