wifi client security

I use my neighbors internet to connect from time to time (I have 15 different ones I can jump onto) What is the best way to protect myself while on an unsecured network (most of the people that live around me are over 65 but I just weant to be careful) any thoughts?

I am currently using windows firewall, avg anti-viurs and a passworded login, and I am not sharing anything

Reply to
Socko
Loading thread data ...

Use the zone alarm firewall much better fire wall but since router is un-secured any one with the technology can read what your sending and recieving. make sure if you are sending or reciveing sensitive info the you encrypt it.

Reply to
Nick Markowitz

Um, use YOUR OWN network and secure it prooerly? Just a thought. js

Reply to
alarman

WHAT, That costs money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Russell Brill

"Socko" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com...

First don't use any account on a pop email server,the pop protocol send user name and password in plain text so any one can sniff it..

secondly if you can connect to a vpn then from that vpn connection can access the www then you are in business,the vpn connection will provide a good protection,cause all the packets will be encoded and it takes week for a single computer to crack the key to de-encode the packets,at this time the data is now irrelevant..

I connect to my company that way when I need stuff privately while on the road(Hotel network or open wifi hot spot)

Reply to
Petem

I need a starting place for connecting to a vpn connection any suggestions? Is it hardware or software?

thanks for all the replies.

Petem wrote:

Reply to
Socko

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.