Webcam vs. composite Camera

"X-No-Archive"

Depends what type of CCTV camera you are talking about. If you use a $30 CMOS bullet camera the web cam may look better! But depends what Webcam you are talking about also, and also the software you will be using. PC based Windows DVR software programs are generally much more feature rich than Linux or IP programs. Lux Riot is the only decent IP one Ive used worth talking about, for IP/NVR, etc. and ive tried them all while testing some capture cards.

Now if you are talking about a simple web cam like a logitech, etc, then yeah most CCTV cameras (CCD) will be 100% better, as they are designed for Video Surveillance. Panasonic makes some decent Ip cameras but looks like you are talking about USB so i imagine that means the cheap web cams?

Reply to
cctvbahamas
Loading thread data ...

Anyone can vouch for the quality between Webcam vs. composite feed camera?

I'm in the initial planning stage of a Linux-PC-based PVR and need to roll out additional cameras.

The cost effectiveness of extended a USB webcam using a pair of USB-serial-Ethernet convertors/adaptors doesn't seem worth the while (not to mention the possible subpar quality). These convertors/adaptors enable extending the distance to 300m for Ethernet CAT-5e cabling. The plus side is that USB is relatively easy to add to most existing PC platform.

The composite cameras seems to have higher resolutions but requires a composite adapter PCI/USB card. Those cards are about the same price as a pair of those USB-serial-Ethernet convertor/adaptor.

I haven't seen the "convergence" or sweet spots yet, perhaps someone else has.

Reply to
Capt. James. T. Kirk

Web cams, nope, Network and Comp cams, yes ....also, you can buy a 4 port PCI capture card for as low as $10 these days, its the software that does the real work. I use DVRs with 720x480, and some with hardware compression, and also cameras well over the quality that the DVR can handle, including Infrared cameras from Extreme CCTV. (They can see in pitch dark over 500-1000' without additional lighting). I write DVR software for a brand I cant mention here.

Something also worth taking a look at is the Covi camera:

formatting link
Cheapest would be a 4 channel AvTech Stand alone DVR, or PowerTelecomm

4 Channel DVR, and 4 bullet or dome cameras. Which cameras you buy will depend on what the image looks like though.

The PowerTellecom R4000 has great video quality and the client software is a self executable, while the AvTech is better for browser based - both in the budget line. And both have great crisp local quality.

Basically you cant build a PC for not even close to the cost of these

2 RTOS embedded Stand Alone DVRs.

Im talking under $200 for these DVRs dealer cost, little more retail. And they never crash, i have both hooked up here and have tested them to the max for months now, they just work.

PC software based DVR's/Systems will obviously give you many more features though.

For more info check out

formatting link

Reply to
cctvbahamas

I guess, the issue now boils down to the cheapest system aggregation of video streams (composite, USB or IP), that scales for up to 4 or 5 cameras.

1. single-input composite capture card is pricey
  2. USB capture is reaching or lower
  3. IP camera is pricey

Hence, I was looking at lower overall cost and yet somehow keep the quality.

Perhaps, some matrix math or spreadsheet is in order for me...

I'd imagine there are some Webcam with higher resolutions than 640x480. Maybe something like 1024x800 or so...

Reply to
Capt. James. T. Kirk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.