Took the plunge!

And built a new puter on Friday night. Intel I-7, dual nVidia 9800 graphics cards (the Asus board will support 3). Win-doze Seven/64 bit - Ultimate. Works great so far (not a single crash in just over four days

- a record - touch wood).

Reply to
Frank Olson
Loading thread data ...

My next laptop will be an i7 with 8GB Ram. I am current using Win 7 Ultimate x64 on my dual core laptop with 4GB Ram...not too bad at all. It's been about 4 months, and I get an occasional mouse freeze. Other than that, its works great.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Sweet...

Why the 2 video cards? HTPC, gaming?

How many Gigafranks of RAM?

Reply to
G. Morgan

Hey... It's MY computer. I'm allowed! :-)

Only four, but the P6T can support a heck of a lot more.

Reply to
Frank Olson

I can't remember when both of my old PC's have crashed, been well over a year

Reply to
mleuck

Slow down hotrod.. It's okay! I'm about to build one too, and SLI is and important factor for picking a MOBO.

Mine is going to be used for HTPC, with a minimum of 4 tuners.

DDR3?? Mine will have 8GB of DDR3 to start with, and Win7 Ultimate

1. I've got my lappy running Win7 Ultimate 64 with 4GB DDR2 now (Intel dual core P8600). Runs great.

My old single core desktop (P4 2.8GHz) Win 7 Pro 32 with 2GB DDR is a HTPC. It doesn't do HD Flash well (Hulu), but it does handle HD1080p OTA and Netflix streaming nicely (M$ Silverlight powered). Right now I switch between Windows Media Center, and Boxee. I like the Boxee interface better but it does not support live TV yet, and still needs work (I get the newest Beta's every 2-3 weeks). I've tried XBMC but it's not polished enough for me, and tried SageTv but my setup seems to underpowered for it (takes forever to change channels). Beyond TV looks nice, but I'm not sure I want to pay for it because it lacks certain features.

I'm going to demote the P4 to a media/file/print server, and use it for the steaming device. I'll also leave it on for remote desktop connections so I can record TV remotely if I forget, and to snag files I need that are not on the lappy if I'm out in the field.

Now, really.... Why the 2 video cards for you?

Reply to
G. Morgan

too underpowered.

Sorry, "Spellcheck Patrol".

Reply to
G. Morgan

The motherboard I have will only accept DDR3. Corsair DDR3-2000mHz.

Two reasons. I work with AutoCAD, and then there's the new Star Trek Online... which happens to look great on my wide screen monitor. OK... so now everyone knows I'm a Trekkie. Are you happy now?? :-P

Reply to
Frank Olson

That would explain a number of things

Reply to
mleuck

Yes. I imagine it does. :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

or. =EF=BF=BDOK...

ou happy now?? =EF=BF=BD:-P

Don't fret Frank. Just because you have small antennae, it makes you no less the man.

Reply to
Jim

I bought two machines from Dell a few months ago. Each has

4 Quads, 32-Gigs, RAID 6 array (8 drives each). They weigh 90 lbs each. They're sitting on a server farm in Tampa behind a nice hardware firewall. We're running them in a "cloud" -- which for me just seems so natural these days... :^)

Each machine runs both websites, load sharing/balancing. Also, I'd have lose 4 drives on both machines before the system actually goes down.

Neither machine has anything special for video but then, no one is up there playing Trekkie games all night... (well, hopefully they're not...)

I think you'll have more fun with that laptop than anyone will from a pair of servers though.

By the way Frank and G,

Your prayers must be working. I've been feeling much better this week. Barely even used my cane for the past couple of days and I'm way less tired. Sad though, I can't ride any more. Sold the Suzuki M109R tonight. The guy wants to buy the Honda, too. Guess I'll let him take it. [sniff]

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I'm glad you're feeling better Robert! You sounded kinda drained on the phone, but I know you were busy entertaining guests that night. Keep up the positive mental attitude, it's working for you.

I'm getting better myself after only 9 aqua-therapy sessions. My shoulder has almost reached it's full range of movement. Still hurts daily, but I have some heavy-duty med's for that (the kind only a pain-management doctor will write). He has a plan to wean me off narco's without a severe withdraw. He knows my history, so we are being really careful.

Sorry you had to sell the bike. I know you got a lot of enjoyment from it. Of course with the med's. you told me you are taking I would not care to share the road with you! I have a feeling you'll be around much longer than those doctors said. You're way to stubborn to go out without a long and protracted fight... and it's only just begun. :-)

I just may take you up on that offer for the burger. I'm off work for at least 6 more weeks, and I could use a change in scenery. Let me talk it over with my new G/F (the high-school flame I reunited with on Facebook didn't work out) and see if she's up for a road-trip. I met the new one on Chemistry.com. If it were not for the Internet I'd never meet anyone, haven't seen the inside of a bar in nearly 3 years (and that never worked well anyway).

Reply to
G. Morgan

Are you sure you haven't left out any more details of your life G?

Reply to
mleuck

I can post more since you appear so interested. Would you prefer a daily email instead?

Reply to
G. Morgan

It looks like we were already getting that

Reply to
mleuck

Well, I'm glad you are enjoying it. As long as you're happy, that's all that matters.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Bring the new GF with you if you can. The weather is bound to get warm soon. I've got an offer on the Shadow 750 now. Gotta see if I get anything better off of Craigslist before I accept though.

I've learned not to look back. The bike is gone. Sad for a moment, but that's that. There's so much good happening in my life right now I can't complain.

Last night a couple of friends came for dinner. The woman's doctor told her she has a nodule on her lung. What is he doing about it?

She: "The doctor wants to wait 6 months and see if it's growing."

Me: "He wants to WHAT?!?!?!?"

This morning we called Moffit Cancer center (my hospital in Tampa) and made an appointment with a pulmonologist. I can't believe some of these doctors. If it was his lung he'd have been in for MRIs, PET scans, surgery, whatever. Wait six months? Good Lord!

Anyway, she's glad we got something going on. She didn't know that you can "self-refer" with cancer or even a suspicion of it without a doctor's orders and Blue Cross will still pay.

All the best, Robert

Reply to
Robert L Bass

It could have been worse, with Obamacare she'd have to wait 6 months just to see the doctor the first time

Reply to
mleuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.