Snitch Rat

So I had to replace an old DS 7400 Xi with a 9412GV2. The regular crew was a little confused so I went to take a sniff for myself. The panel was full of mux devices like a DS7432 and MX938. No big deal. Get a 8125MUX and a D5060 and go to town. So when going through the spaghetti I was stumped. It made no sense. Finally I realized that someone had landed the MX 938 MUX devices on the DS7432 analog zone expander. The loop voltage from the DS7432 gave the appearance that the MX938 was working (since the LED came on). Even worse they "documented" this error in hand written as well as typed form and left on the job. Okay then! Why were some MX938 devices wired and programmed correctly and others done incorrectly when it was installed at the same time by the same person (judging from the hand writing)? Stupid? Careless? Sabotage? This is a place where security is critical. The work was of course originally done and later blessed by the big three letter company that starts with A. Does that company have any internal discipline staff or QC that should be notified? Or should I be a snitch rat and turn the documents over to law enforcement as fraud. If this weren't the type of facility it is I know that type of complaint would generally go nowhere. But this place is the type with the profile and (full time federally paid three letter) legal clout to cause serious trouble for someone, even ones with a fat three letter wallet, especially with the handwritten documents left behind. I am sure that the three letter company doesn't want to see these other three letter boys showing up on their doorstep. I believe I just saw stupidity in action, but it could be an effort of a crime as well. I am puzzled. Has anyone here ever had experience with the pooper scooper going behind these companies and cleaning up their messes? Is this typical? I hope not. I have seen lots of stuff that is pure crap as an installation but never something exactly like this where it seems that a path of disabled devices is being created right under someone's nose, but made to look as if they functioned correctly. I am being too paranoid or not paranoid enough?

Reply to
Roland Moore
Loading thread data ...

I've run across bad installs by the big boys more than I can believe. JUst turn it over to the customer. you're job is done. grasshopper time to move on.

Reply to
Picklesheimer

Um, yeah.

Um, yeah.

Welcome to the wonderful world of reality. js

Reply to
Carl Carlson

Inform the client - no matter how many letters they have in their name :-)

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Reply to
Just Looking

Reply to
Just Looking

That was my plan once it is all working. It is too much of a 'the dog ate my homework' or 'aliens landed in the back yard' type of thing to bring up without someone thinking you're wearing the tinfoil cap. I have seen many efforts at defeating a system, but never by the installer himself.

Reply to
Just Looking

Sounds fishy to me too.

| >

| >

| >

| >

| >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

...I felt funny reporting one of my ex-clients to the FBI about a year and half ago...I hemmed & hawed for about a week then finally I gave in and called it in...oddly enough it took them about 30 seconds to pull up the guy's info they knew who he was and where he was and thanked me - that was it...they wouldn't tell me nuttin...they even knew exactly who I was as well.

| >

| >

| >

| >

| >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Reply to
Nick Markowitz Jr.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.