Running wire for security cameras, and tips on fishing wire?

RG59, RG6 & RG11 are all suitable for CCTV if they use a 95% braided copper shield. The aluminium shield versions are more suited for CATV.

Approximate distances for CCTV using copper shield and standard size cables are up to 750-1000ft for RG59, up to 1200-1500ft for RG6 and up to 2500-3000 for RG11

RG59 with a copper shield is also available in a "mini" size, the maximum wire run for this cable is less than the standard RG59, but its small size makes it easier to work with and conceal if necessary.

The /U designation does not denote copper shield, RG59/U is available in both aluminium and copper shield versions.

My experience is that many people when using the term RG6 are referring to the aluminum quad shield version commonly used in CATV, and not the copper shielded version for CCTV.

The choice of cable should depend on the length of the wire run, using RG6 or RG11 on a short run is wasting the customers money, using RG59 on a long run is wasting your time and the customers money

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L
Loading thread data ...

The camera biz is starting to get diluted with wantabe's much like other parts of the industry. The locksmiths, the gate fabricators, the audio people are all in the market and the internet purchases make it simple with no real training. I am just finishing a residential system that has (had) a

16 camera system. It is now a 15 camera system. The tele entry people resold the owner on a little, I don't know what, camera at the gate. They eliminated a small dome with telemetry zoom. The owner still wants me to hook it up to the DVR. It is about 600' to the gate and they ran regular RG6 CATV (aluminum braid) wire out there and with no power. I have two dedicated power supplies for the camera system in the control room. The company plans (until I talk with the owner) to power the camera at the gate operator. When will people learn?
Reply to
Bob Worthy

Stranded?? Terminating that must be fun. Must be a Canadian thing... js

Reply to
alarman

Again, it's been awhile since I was familiar with the requirements and spec's but I seem to remember that it's not the resistance that is the issue but the impedence and attenuation of the high frequency signals. It's not like a "voltage" that would require a larger conductor, to give better results at the end of the line. It's not Ohms law only, that can be applied in this case. CATV has a much broader band width and higher frequency requirement and therefore the center core can/should be a copper clad steel conductor, because at those frequencies the signal travels on the outside of the conductor. With CCTV, it's a lower frequency video signal and therefore a full copper conductor is better. Also the copper braid is a better shield than aluminum, which the lower freq CCTV signals require, since there's a greater possiblity that the wires will be longer runs than a typical CATV run and they're more likely to run along with AC and other interference source wires, for long distances. There's also something to do with the size diameter of the inner insulation which separates the center conductor from the braid shield .....but I can't remember what it is.

I seem to remember that RG59 was more expensive than the RG6 because of the copper content.

Could be I'm wrong about some of this, I'm pulling it out of a pretty old "hat".

But my curiosity is really about whether the newer equipment is capable of working with RG6 in all instances or ...... what?

Where's the guy from the Bahamas who does all the CCTV work?

Reply to
Jim

I remember seeing stranded core coax years ago, but not for a long time.

If you look closely, you'll likely see that the core of the RG6 is a copper clad steel (or some other metal) conductor. That's why it's so rigid and harder to cut.

Reply to
Jim

Yah. He was an idiot...I guess he thought patching stucco was easier than fishing wires...what a mess he made.

"Russell Brill" wrote in message news:JWnof.3196$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net... | Huh??????????????????? | | "Crash Gordon" wrote in message | news:8pnof.86$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net... | > Don't laugh I knew a guy that used to post wire homes with a circular saw | > with several blades on the shaft, and slot the entire exterior wall of the | > house around the perimeter! | >

| >

| > "Frank Olson" wrote in | > message | > news:0%jof.112716$ki.32819@pd7tw2no... | > | BIOSMonkey wrote: | > | > I would like to install about 4 cameras around my house, not | > necessarily | > for | > | > security but to see who's at the front door, monitor the kid's | > playground, etc. | > | >

| > | > My plan is to install these cameras, run them to the equipment room | > under the | > | > stairs in my basement, then get channel modulators to insert them into | > my cable | > | > system (or maybe run them into a quad generator to create one | > channel). | > | >

| > | > Without knowing yet what kind of cameras I will get, what wiring | > should | > I run? | > | > Just a coax and 2 conductor power? For cameras with other features, | > such as | > | > motion trigger, or audio, do I need more conductors? | > | | > | RG-59U, Some Cat 5, and a two or four conductor 18AWG will just about | > | cover everything that's out there. | > | | > | | > | >

| > | > Also I am at a loss to figure out how to easily fish these wires | > through | > my | > | > outside walls to the basement. Obviously I want them to be hidden and | > | > inaccessible to someone with wire cutters, but I don't see how I can | > run | > them | > | > down inside the siding with the boards and insulation on the other | > side. | > How do | > | > you guys do it? | > | | > | That part I like... We use a chain saw. We rip a wire way channel down | > | the inside wall (make sure you wear a good quality dust mask and | > | protective clothing to avoid injury from flying splinters, odd bits of | > | nail and insulation). It's also a good idea to use a well insulated | > | chainsaw in case you hit a live 110 or 220 VAC wire. Lay your wire in | > | the channel you've just created and staple it all down. Stuff some | > | insulation on top, and nail on a thin strip of drywall. Don't forget to | > | tell you wife that you're leaving it like this so that you can open the | > | wireway anytime you need to service it. | > | | > | Seriously, you'll need to get yourself some basic tools as well as some | > | more specialized ones like a 6 foot flex-bit, and a good quality fish | > | tape. Judging from your comments you have good access to the basement | > | (that it's largely unfinished). Drilling or fishing down an outside | > | wall is never easy, but is possible. You have to be careful about | > | displacing insulation or damaging the vapour barrier. A fire-stop can | > | make what looks like an "easy run" a tad more difficult too. | > | Maintaining separation from higher voltage AC wiring also has to be | > | considered. Sometimes it's easier to go "up" into the attic and then | > | down an inside wall to the basement. Without actually seeing what you | > | want to do or the way your home is constructed, it would be difficult to | > | comment on which technique is going to work best. If you've never done | > | this before, it would probably be a lot easier (and wiser) to have a | > | "Pro" run the wire for you. He'll have all the gear necessary. You'll | > | have to pay out some bucks but you'll have fewer headaches. | >

| >

| | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

sheesh, I have enough trouble getting the solid core into a bnc connector...can't imagine trying it with stranded...unless you're gonna sit there and tin the center core on every connection.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

A man's gotta do what a monkey's gotta do...

Reply to
Frank Olson

not me...too old for that. shit, I might have to start carrying a magnifying glass around with me!

| | | A man's gotta do what a monkey's gotta do...

Reply to
Crash Gordon

If you're going to use coax with a stranded core, you're supposed to use three-piece connectors and solder the tip in place. Even if tinned, the stranded core won't push into a two-piece connector properly.

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

I don't use stranded..it would drive me batty.

You the same Nomen over at the rec.photo.digital?

Reply to
Crash Gordon

wire (which is better suited to CCTV applications due to it's flexibility).

Manufacturers actually recommend using solid core coaxial cable. Stranded cable is needed only for short runs that will be subject to flexing because that would eventually cause a solid core center conductor to break. There is zero benefit to running stranded core cable for general use. The truth is that the vast majority of CCTV installations use solid core cable -- not stranded core -- for all fixed cameras and for the main runs from camera mount to DVR, monitor, etc.

Olson was probably confused by misreading the referenced website when he did a quick Google on CCTV cable. The site does recommend using stranded core, but *only* for cables that will be subject to repeated flexing. Other than that, they specifically recommend solid core.

Both RG6 and RG59 are mainly sold in solid core but stranded is available for the limited purposes it serves.

Another thing which may have confused Olson is the oft-repeated recommendation of braided copper vs. aluminum foil shielding. For CCTV the preferred shield is indeed braided -- but NOT the center core.

The reason most CCTV cabling is still RG59 and not RG6 is there's no need for (nor benefit from using) the RG6. RG6 Quad Shield cable is another thing. For high bandwidth video services such as entertainment video distribution where near-total rejection of EMI/RFI is essential, RG6/QS is often the best choice. Ordinary CCTV cameras, even high end, "high resolution" ones, are not that critical and don't use enough bandwidth to necessitate RG6 with its higher price tag and slightly more difficult installation techniques.

Regards, Robert L Bass

formatting link

Reply to
robertlbass

I nearly forgot to mention this. On CCTV runs greater than 600' or

700' use RG6 cable. Still no need for RG6/QS though. Ordinary RG6 will be fine.

Regards, Robert L Bass

formatting link

Reply to
robertlbass

Nope, no relation. "Nomen Nescio" is the name assigned to everyone who uses the Dizum remailer. That contributes to the anonymity of the system. Incidentally, that is garbled Latin for "Nomen ne scio," which means "I do not know the name."

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

Ah!...now I get it. Thanks!

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Nomen's the "Prince" of ASA... :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Heh... I'm the same Soundy from r.p.d :)

Reply to
Matt Ion

Reply to
mikey

I've had some good results running RG-174 for security cameras.

It's about the same diameter as the round 4-wire telephone cable. Very flexible - but it has a stranded core (but I use BNC connectors).

Reply to
Security Guy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.