Re: AlarmNet reliability how can it go down with no notice?

Mike,

Is there any Honeywell GSM product that will be taking the place of the

7830R radios???

Regards, Russ

----- Original Message ----- From: "Seccon1" Newsgroups: alt.security.alarms Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 8:10 PM Subject: Re: AlarmNet reliability how can it go down with no notice?

I do not agree with everything stated here on this subject although, I do >find the information on this NG informative. > > We do much of what was said we should do. The GSM unit polls from the > protected premise to the base station LAC.Your alarm Company sets the GSM > Fault time in your unit. The default is 10 Minutes. When the local tower > is lost the unit searches repeatedly and when the programmed fault time > expires the GSM can Notify the control and "Can" even activate an output > for local panel initiation if connected. If your panel did not indicate a > "Fail to communicate" then this option is turned off. That is not our > part, that is up to the installing company. > > Your security company also sets the frequency of the test reports to the > Central Station, either Daily or Monthly. Daily cost you more naturally. > While there are standards such as UL 1023 and UL 985 for the listing of > the equipment installed in households, the security level for residences > typically does not meet "AA" Line security (unless requested and paid > dearly for). NFPA 72 2007 Chapter 11 specifies that a 24 hour test report > is the minimum requirement for household Fire! If a fire alarm in a > residence is required only daily testing then it is unlikely that that a > non-Life safety system will require a higher level of communication > supervision. > The new NFPA standards 730/731 may have additional information but they > are not widely enforced. > > When we take down all or any portion of the network we notify all parties > that have signed up for the notification service. Consult your security > company. > > I understand the emphasis that some respondents in this NG placed of the > standard phone line, however the current structure of the Bell Operating > Companies is such that left in its current state, the demise of POTS is > imminent. It may take a while, but the moment that the VOIP ISP's and > cable companies won the ruling preventing federal regulation of the > service then even the nation's existing BOC's applied to offer VOIP. > > POTS has served us well but if we are truly honest, there are similar > issues that have existed even by the tried and true Public Switched > Telephone Network. Examples: > > 1. Are you enabling or providing Telephone Line Monitoring for the rare > times that your phone line fails? When it fails, besides the local > annunciation, who knows? POTS is passive polling also, not Active polling. > > 2. Is your POTs Line correctly wired for Line Seizure? If not an > off-hook phone stops communication or at least slows it down assuming the > panel has anti-jam. (Yea, I know, everyone here does it right but it may > supprise you how many T tap the connection). > > 3. How often are you setting the residential Dact to test?, daily is > not the norm. usually monthly. > > 4. A UL listed central station is supposed to rotate receivers and test > the UPS backup on the receivers monthly. What if your signal comes in > during that test. > > 5. If your CS is using a Call Forwarded receiver line then the security > company is suppose to test that incoming line every 4 hours. Was your > alarm company bought by a large National company and the receiver that > your system is programmed into was forwarded to the "Mega Center" Did they > set up the test? > > 6. What did the Install Companies do when they found that the 1400Hz > Handshake tone was being used by Ma Bell and a misdirected call could be > ackwoleged and kissed off by a switch error at the CO? (There are a few in > this NG old enough to remember this) > > These are only a few possibilities. > > Your stats aren't exactly right either, this past year we have averaged as > many as 30,000, GSM units a month. Your Data packet estimates are under > rated. > > Your installation company central station can pull your stats for the last > 90 days online including outages, radio field strength, unit power > performance and reports. > > If your unit is going through AlarmNet your security company can provide > other services, an I-GSM can provide an Internet Path as well as GPRS/SMS, > and you also may want to add "Total Connect" services for remote SMS > control and event notification. Some large national companies do not offer > the service yet. They have the capability in the units, they just do not > have a market plan yet. > > The "I" units can actually provide 90 second pings allowing 5 minute > supervision including Blowfish 1024 or AES 256 encryption typically used > in Military, DHS and other Gov. applications. But your CS would charge you > an arm and legg to do this. > > I disagree with some of the other respondents in that we honestly do not > know or have not known exactly how reliable or unreliable POTs is or has > been. There are many recorded "Fail to Communicate" events in industry > history that could not be explained. Please don't think that I believe > that GSM is perfect, I am a realist. I also disagree with the thought that > POTS needs to be the primary. I use the I-GSM at home. The 7845GSMCF is > Listed as the Secondary Path. The I-GSMCF is listed as Network (NFPA 72 > chapter 8) stand alone communication for UL 864Fire. > > everyone, I appreciate your input. > > Mike McGinnis > Honeywell
Reply to
Russell Brill
Loading thread data ...

On Aug 17, 1:55=EF=BF=BDpm, "Russell Brill" wrot= e:

For some unknown reason, I think you might be waiting a long time for an answer. ;-)

Reply to
Jim

I was going to ask if that was a "smart question" ? It's just like asking if there is any Ford SUV product that will be taking the place of the Ford Tempo.

Reply to
A.J.

FYI: The 7830R radio is the only Honeywell wireless product that is "AA" rated by UL... NONE of the GSM products are "AA" rated at this time. It is my understanding that sometime late this year, or in early 2009 Honeywell is supposed to roll out a replacement for the 7830R, I was hoping Mike could confirm that and give some additional details.

As usual, the peanut gallery has a smart ass comment to make thinking it will make he/she/it/they look smarter than he/she/it/they really are........

Reply to
Russell Brill

Hide quoted text -

Sorry, I don't check this group till I get home which ususally is on the weekend (Last week was an exception). My ISP (Charter) will allow me to review the post from my outlook news folder but if I am not within the Metro Area Network of Charter (Which is always) then I have to use google and its just not as organized. I asked the ISP if I could acquire the network from outside the MAN and they said no. I will check on your input about the 7830. I have been told that it is a mater of time before that service is terminated and that there will be a GSM solution but it has not been specified as to when. The 7845 IENT can meet the criteria to issue "AA" certificate for burg although it is IP only, not radio. The 7845IGSMCF can replace both DACT lines provided your AHJ accepts network alternatives.

As to the peanut galery its nothing new to this group. my work email is visible on this post and legitimate questions are welcome there anytime while peanuts can just keep roasting elsewhere.

thanks

Michael

Reply to
michael.m.mcginnis

LOL !!!!!!!!!

Reply to
A.J.

ote:

- Hide quoted text -

OH Come ON!!!!!!!!!!!

Getting a reply from you to a post made 6 months ago deserves some kind of smart ass remark.

I mean ..... give credit where credit is due. :-)

Reply to
Jim

e?- Hide quoted text -

Really, it does not bother me, pick all you wish. Years ago I received some pretty good bashing from posters in the alt. groups. Eventually, I looked at the time that the regulars posted messages and the amount of Time spent "Bickering" and I realized that not having or taking the time to "compete" with the postings here means I have a pretty good life comparatively speaking.

Reply to
michael.m.mcginnis

Michael,

Lighten up a little.

Jeeeeeze, talk about "competeing"

I mean come on, already!

Back in February, there's a thead going about radios. Six months later you pop up with an answer a mile long and nobody even knows what the question was ..... or cares.

Then Someone makes a kidding remark about it and already your above all the "picking", "competeing and "bashing" or "Bickering" and you're "leading a pretty good life" because of it.

We're all proud of you.

Just lighten up and we wont try to kid around with you anymore ..... OK?

Reply to
Jim

*I* make no guarantees that I won't, though. :-)
Reply to
Frank Olson

There now! Ya see? He was right.

There's always at least one of those "picking", "competeing", "bashing", and "bickering" people in every group!

(sigh)

Reply to
Jim

Yep. Say... Ain't it time I started pickin' on you again?? ;-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

n?? =EF=BF=BD;-)

Experience ought to tell you that you'd get more satisfaction from picking various parts of your body, with a similar but much more immediate harvest.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.