Non mains system

Despite the "negative" commentary, this is really a good group of guys (in ASA). You've had a couple of good suggestions. I hope they work out.

Actually, the Hyksos had the compound bow around the time they invaded and conquered Egypt. That was a bit more than 3000 years ago. :-)

"Telescopic sights" are nuthin' compared to the laser sight I saw the other day on some guy's cross-bow. Scary.

Thanks Paul. Same to you.

Reply to
Frank Olson
Loading thread data ...

Yes you are an idiot and yes we are way too clever for you

Reply to
Mark Leuck

What a maroon.

js

Reply to
alarman

I did a little looking on-line and could not confirm that to my satisfaction. A couple sources make that claim, but the more reputable sources seem to say the Hyksos had composite bows. That is bows assembled of more than one material. Thye go on to say composite nows have been found in some of the pyramids and tombs of Egypt from that time period and after.

Excerpt From Wikipedia re: Hyksos They introduced new tools of warfare into Egypt, most notably the composite bow and the horse-drawn chariot.

Wikipedia A composite bow is a bow made from disparate materials laminated together, usually applied under tension.

Wikipedia A compound bow is a modern bow that uses a levering system, usually of cables and pulleys, to bend the limbs.

I know Wikipedia is not always the most accurate on-line resource, but it seemed to match up with the most other non-personal on-line resources. Like I said I did also find some resources that made the Hyksos had compound bows. I found that to be very interesting, and wanted was looking for a picture or artist rendition of one.

Almost all reources except those claiming the Hyksos had one credit H Wilbur Allen with inventing the compound bow, and patenting it in 1969.

Some excerpts from around the web:

During its long history, there was little substantive change to the physics of its operation, before the patent awarded to H. Wilbur Allen in 1969 (U. S. Patent No. 3,486,495).

The compound bow in archery was invented in the mid 1960s by an American engineer named Howless Wibur Allen. In 1961 he got inspired by the then launching of Hoyt Pro Medalist Bow. This bow was one of the very first to have vertical stabilizers on it, and Allen had another idea to add to it-the wheel. He harnessed the principle of the block and tackle pulley to the bow and felt (correctly) that this would enhance a bow's performance. The mechanics of the pulley system would, he reasoned, allow a heavier weight to be drawn.

1969 AD - 30th. December - Holless Wilbur Allen is granted the patent on his invention of the Compound Bow which he had designed 3 to 4 years earlier. Mr. Allen was a keen bowhunter who was disappointed with the hunting bows of the day and so decided to design a new type of bow for hunting. His original design had 'wheels' that were triangular shaped.

I was very excited by the idea that the compound bow was 3000 years old and did a littl research. I'm open to to more information, but at this point I am more apt to believe that is not correct, and that the Hyksos had composite bows. Not compound bows.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Actually composite *recurved* bows, not "compound". My mistake.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Dang-it! I was actually kinda hoping you were correct and were going to snow me with proof. Its an exciting idea.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

P.S. I used to shoot a bit. I even took an archery class in college as one of my mandatory phys-ed credits, and was one of the top shooters in the class using light (35-45 pound) fiberglass recurves. Clark, Larry, and I constantly batlled for the top spot. We would gather everybody elses arrows after class so we could shoot continuously without stopping and get in some real practice. I have since picked up a couple cheap compounds (55 and 65 pound) and one nice 45lb recurve and shoot out back of the house once in a while to make sure I can still drop a hay bail if one attacks me.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

It appears I'm not the only one "confused" by bow terminology:

formatting link

I found this article as well. It explains the origin of the terminology much better (in my view):

formatting link

I do tend to recognize the Britannica as a more informative source than Wikki, but articles in any encyclopedia are written by people (who can make "missteaks"). :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Reply to
Roland Moore

Funny. They did not go on to define the term in their article.

LOL.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Be careful admitting to that here. That might be a protected endangered hay bail species.

Reply to
Just Looking

The brilliant thing about compounds for me are the cams that give the let off which allows you to hold and aim such awesome power, which of course you couldn't do otherwise.

Incidentally, from a historic angle, we're watching yet another version of a Robin Hood series. The difference with this one is, they've given him a Mongolian type of bow for the first time (he was always credited with using a longbow in the past). I don't know why. I suppose it's possible historically. Someone could've brought back some bows or at least the design from the crusades.

formatting link

Reply to
Paul O'Grady

The negative response was to me Bob not you, I don't think he likes AT&T and he is therefore a leftist commie bastard tree hugger

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I'm talking about a REAL alarm panel not a pale imitation

Reply to
Mark Leuck

COOL! Got a link to the video?

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Heh. MOOSE Z-1100. When you absolutely, positively must confuse every technician in the room, accept no substitute. (But the damned things work forever)

Reply to
alarman

Awww come on. I still remember programming it's baby sister, the Arrowhead CT-61. Now *that* panel could sing baby. Hey - speaking of Arrowhead, didn't they also make a programmer for some big national company??? :-))

Reply to
G. Morgan

Donno. I used their PIR's for a while 'til one caught fire. Yeah. js

Reply to
alarman

Really??? Now *that's* a scary thought.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Musta used FAQ #211, Raid spray in the PIR? :-0

Did it really?

Reply to
G. Morgan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.