Non mains system

Hi guys.

Newbie here. I need to protect 3 containers in a field. They will be fenced in eventually. Will have mains on eventually but even the meter box needs planning permission so nothing happening soon on that front. I've had two visits already. I live miles away and I need to use these containers asap. Any ideas anyone?

In language I can understand please.

Thanks. Paul

Reply to
Paul O'Grady
Loading thread data ...

What are you trying to protect? Trash? Machinery?

You can use a line of sight network which can transmit up to 10 miles. You will need a solar panel, and some gel cell batteries for power. You may want to use a couple of marine deep cycle batteries instead.

The network will enable you to send alarm contact, video, and audio signals. It depends what you want to do, and how much you want to spend.

A local alarm tied into a solar panel array & backup batteries is enough to discourage theft or vandalism. A few outdoor motions covering all sides of the area with a prerecorded message announcement can be done as well.

You can also try a car alarm pager system tied into the alarm if you live within 5 miles to alert you of an alarm. Outside the USA you can purchase paging transmitters that will transmit 10+ miles if conditions are right.

Jim Rojas

Paul O'Grady wrote:

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Jim's got some good general suggestions, but it would be more helpful if we knew exactly what you had in mind for "protection"? A local alarm to scare off intruders? A paging alarm to inform you of an intrusion? Video surveillance? Forcefield? Electrify the containers so anyone tampering with them gets fried?

Reply to
Matt Ion

You may also want to post to uk.tech.electronic-security with this.

Reply to
G. Morgan

I've got locations running a 60 watt solar panel w/ charge controller, cellular communicator, full commercial alarm, several gell cell batteries, and a good loud outdoor siren.

My biggest concern is always direct attack on the solar panel in remote applications. I have taken steps to provide detection on thos also, but... I limght also be concerned on a Connex box about that ability of the cell signal to punch through. An external atenna may be needed (and then protected) also.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Put it > > What are you trying to protect? Trash? Machinery?

Reply to
Just Looking

So, if all they have to do is break a solar panel and knock off an aerial the answer would be no then?

Reply to
Paul O'Grady

what was teh question?

Reply to
Spudz

Sure if you are dumb enough not to put alarm protection on both of those, and figure to only use the alarm in the day time so you don't figure to have batteries.

The solar panel charges the batteries. The alarm runs off the batteries. How you protect the panel, and/or disguise the antenna (if an outdoor one is even needed) is up to you.

I'm not sure if you thought I was an idiot, or if you just don't know how an alarm system works.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

And, it's all gonna cost a lot more than someone might think...so depends on what he's trying to protect to justify the expense.

I get this all the time from a place that rents containers to construction companies...they get ripped off all the time, yet won't spend the money it will take to protect a container out on some remote site with no electric or phone service.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

AT&T 8000

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I must be the idiot because after I specifically told you that I was a newbie AND asked for language I can understand, I get all kinds of crap thrown at me. AT&T 8000???? Gee, that must've taken a lot of thought and effort. I think I'll leave you guys to talk amongst yourselves. You're all WAY too clever for me.

Reply to
Paul O'Grady

Ok. I gave you an honest answer and you responded negatively. Lets try it a different way.

What can you afford to do this?

If that questions isn't a good enough lead in to keeping it simple...

What is your cost justification?

or...

How much can you afford to lose?

and

How much do you stand to lose?

If you answer these questions specifically and honestly with a dollar amount I can tell you in laymen's terms if you can do it or not.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

A cellular communicator coupled to a standard off-the-shelf alarm panel would more than suit your needs. You'll need contacts for the container doors (wide gap type used in overhead doors would work). If you're filling the containers with goods, I doubt a motion sensor would work all that well unless it was a ceiling mounted unit. If the containers are unheated, I would suggest you refrain from using motion sensors. You can power your alarm panel with a car battery for several days (and it would be easy to recharge from your own vehicle). Connect it to the AC inputs (polarity doesn't matter) and use a standard gel cell battery hooked up to the panel's battery leads. This should work for you without the need for solar cells or expensive long-range radio gear.

Good luck!

Reply to
Frank Olson

This is more like it. Thank you Frank.

I will be out of range of radio gear so a cell phone connection is a must. Your comment about motion sensors and heat is an interesting one that I haven't heard before. I've already got a quote to install mains but the 2ftx2ft brick box they want to put the meter in requires ANOTHER

planning application which can and usually does take up to 8 weeks. Once the mains are in I will be doing it properly but meantime I need a cheapish foolproof thing that will work. Door sensors and a siren will do it because I intend to put another welded gate inside which will give the time needed for someone to get there. I had envisaged using motion detectors because if they turn up with oxy-acetylene, bang goes the time buffer.

Can you give me specifics? What I need and where to get them?

FYI I'm building an activity day center based on archery. I can't turn up on the day with 50 people and find no equipment. It just doesn't bear thinking about.

Thanks again.

Paul

Reply to
Paul O'Grady

I can give you part numbers but that wouldn't mean much since your in GB and I'm in Canada. I'd contact a company more "local" to you to get the scoop. You can try contacting:

formatting link
Most of the panels out there operate with 12VDC devices. I'd suggest adding a radio receiver to the mix and use a button keyfob to arm and disarm the system (keep the doors on an "instant zone"). Most panels can be set up to "blip" the siren when you arm/disarm (similar to what you get with a car alarm). Unless the units are heated, I would advise against using traditional PIR (Passive Infra-Red) type motion sensors and I don't think you'll have much success with micro-wave based units in a steel container. Don't put up any signage and I'd venture to say that most of your break-in attempts will be made through the doors. The siren may scare them away, but most will just ignore it (or find the source and disable it). The fact that the system is notifying you remotely will be a big plus as most won't expect that.

My younger son is into Kyudo (traditional Japanese archery).

Reply to
Frank Olson

I'm guessing the second one.

Reply to
alarman

No, no, no, NOOOO! Moose Z-1100!

Reply to
alarman

Apparently so.

Reply to
alarman

Thanks again Frank. I understand the concept. It's when you get to different names and model numbers that things get confusing for a novice but I'll get there. Archery in general is gaining in popularity again (Back in the Olympics again and will be in the Commonwealth games in 2010). The American urge to kill everything has lead to the development of the compound bow which is more and more powerful/mechanical and accurate due to the use of telescopic sights. You hardly ever see an American site dealing with traditional archery nowadays. Good to see that there is still some interest in the old ways. I wish him and you all the best.

Paul

Reply to
Paul O'Grady

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.