newbie needs help with security cameras in business

x-no-archive:yes

I work in a manufacturing plant that currently has an outdated time lapse vcr and security camera system. "black and white". We dont have a large budget but I would like to replace the vcr with some sort of dvr.

What are the pros and cons of a computer based dvr system vs a stand alone system?

Also, how far inside a medal building can wireless cameras go?

Can we build our own system out of a pc?

I appreciate any feedback!

Reply to
stryped
Loading thread data ...

Do you a LAN or do you know if your network cable runs around the plant? If so, you might want to explore using IP cams and linking them up to your LAN. Check with your IT person to see what available bandwith you have to play with... a few cameras might not hurt even an old out of date LAN. Wireless IP cams work pretty well also.. but plant interiors can be a crazy enviornment.. lots of brick.. cinder block.. iorn.. it's risky at best. If no LAN, I would go with basic RG59 if the cable runs are under 150'.. I'm no expert here.. but have done some cam work in 100,000+ wharehouses.. not fun!

Reply to
Cmore

con and pro of pc dvr

pro=>

easy to service if you have knowledge on pc harfdware,parts easily available..

con =>

subject to all pc virus and problem, instability with pc that stay on all the time ,autoupdate of the OS is giving more trouble then fixing anything,same for virus scan,slow the pc and can even crash the app that do the grabbing,but cant live without it cause of virus on the network..

Hardware dvr pro and con

Pro=>

not subject to virus,and hard to hack inside,can be on the unsecure side of the network with out having to take the network admin to the psy every week so that he can take the pressur of having a machine outside of his firewall..(provide remote viewing with out a glitch) not subject to freeze cause of no shutdown or reboot for month/years..

con=>

hard to service inside parts,wont accept any type of hard disk,become obsolete after 5 years and cant have parts from manufacturer cause they now have new unit..

yes you can build one from a pc,but my experience is that ANY pc dvr is shit,and if you dont spend big bucks on thje pc itself,it wont be very usefull...allways crashing and unstable..

"stryped" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Pierre

I've heard that Samsung is about to release a "scalable" DVR that you can swap hard drives on. I don't think you're going to be limited to using their HW either.

Easy answer to that one... It's spelled L-I-N-U-X. (The Penguin makes a much better logo too.)

Reply to
Frank Olson

I'm not a regular here, nor a security expert, however it just so happens that i have been using wired and wireless cat5 networked video cameras in a small security system for about 3 years now

my "campus" consists of 2 large separate buildings about 100 yards apart, and there are 7 cameras setup on the network.

The system is hugely reliable, as the network computers are NOT connected to the internet at all. The server is in the Studio, and has about 500 gig of drive space for recording video, as well as 2 monitors which show all the camera feeds in real time.

workstation computers can log onto the server at need and recieve a feed from any camera

primary purpose of the system is to give me real time monitoring of my property, then recorded video if needed for legal purposes.

Wireless G products mostly from Linksys, some cameras from D-Link, the wireless network extender for the router works quite well too.

my Data network is a peer to peer and runs separately from the security network

Ciao

Ventura

Reply to
Ventura

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.