Need help identifying N.O. or N.C.

I'm having trouble figuring out the type of sensors I have ( N.O. or N.C. ) Each zone has a 15K resistor from the loop power to the zone.

The wireless receiver has 2 wires running to it to supply 12 Volts and each zone has

1 wire running back to the zone screw where the 15K resistor is attached so that the 15K is always supplying a little power to the zone screw. When the zone is tripped the wire from the wireless receiver becomes a ground for that zone. So the power flows from the loop power through the resistor, then through the now grounded wire.

Would this be a N.O. or N.C. circuit?

Thanks,

John snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net

Reply to
John Brummitt
Loading thread data ...

Good Job I could have said it any better. Did he answer your question?

Reply to
Rich

Neither...NO/NC contacts are just that. Open or closed circuits. The circuit you described is low voltage, on or off.

Reply to
JW

Strictly speaking, a Normally Open Switch refers to the position of the switch (open or closed) when it is in its "normal" or relaxed state. i.e. the magnet is away, or if it is a momentary switch, the contacts are "open" until the switch is depressed. If it is a relay, the NO contacts are "open" when the coil is not energized.

In order to eliminate confusion, most alarm circuits are refered to as normally-open or normally-closed, and sensors are said to be for normally open or normally closed circuits.

Most alarm circuits are normally closed loops with the sensors in series and a maintained current flow until one sensor opens and stops the flow of current which sets off the alarm. The eol (end-of-line) resistors are supposed to be installed at the end of the line in series with the last sensor in the loop to provide fault supervision. That way, a short somewhere along the loop will set off a trouble indicator. Lazy or inexperienced installers will sometimes not do this and place the resistors in the control box.

Beachcomber

Some alarm circuits are normally open and must be wired in parallel with other sensors. The closure of any one circuit completes the circuit, allows current to flow and sets off the alarm.

Reply to
Beachcomber

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.