Mini Storage Security

I have a customer that is building 500 mini storages on +\\- 6 acres. Dont know how many buildings yet, the architect is still doing the plans. I have looked at Digitech International and Global Electronics products. Has anybody ever put security in mini storages? Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you Jimmy Dale Reeves Reeves Security Group, LLC

Reply to
Jimmy Dale Reeves
Loading thread data ...

While you're at it sell them on turning the lights on with the motions you provide. This saves the electricians from putting in manual timers - and ultimately saves the facility electricity.

I've seen several approaches to mini-storage. If there is an access control at the gate - then use that trigger to disarm the unit (or bldg. they are headed to) use that same trigger (a card at the gate) to unlock the building they are allowed access to. Put a timer on it

- like one hour, to access the building. If more time is required, use a keypad at the building itself.

Mini-storage almost always has CCTV, get that job too. Use video motion trigger and access control triggers to record all licence plates coming in and out.

Reply to
Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

I have installed it before. There are specialty vendors and dealers for Mini Storage needs. Most security access control products don't include the items requested by most operators of mini storage places. In addition to the manufacturers you mentioned, DoorKing and PTI Integrated Systems are some other brands that I have actually worked on. Since they are dissimilar to what I am used to I didn't care much for it. On the other hand those products may be perfect for you needs.

Reply to
Roland

Reply to
Nick Markowitz Jr.

In Florida most of the mini storage places I've seen have very simple systems. There are gates which control ingress and egress. Each user gets a code. Cameras are installed around the perimeter of each building but not inside. I asked the owner of one place why he doesn't install cameras inside the corridors. He said that there's a state law prohibiting it here. I didn't check but I suspect that was BS.

I sell DoorKing and several other brands of access control in my online store. A few mini storage places have ordered systems but so far none have gotten the gate operators through us. That's a job which requires mechanical skills that most DIYers don't possess. Also, because gate operators can kill, there may be justifiable concern about liability. It's not like security and fire alarms which anyone can install for himself.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

That depends on the jurisdiction (regarding fire alarms). You should really try to qualify your "blanket statements".

Reply to
Frank Olson

Reply to
Roland

I have no interest in the Canadian market. My statement referred to the USA where I live (most of the time) and work (some of the time).

Everywhere in this country it is perfectly lawful for a homeowner to install his/her own security system. No license is needed. Likewise homeowners can lawfully install their own fire alarm systems without a license.

Commercial fire regulations vary but for the most part, as long as it's not a building being prepared for sale to a third party and as long os it's not a "place of assembly" a building owner or his employees can install a fire alarm without a license. There are a few exceptions to this last paragraph.

As to whether the system will work, that is in part a function of the support they receive from the place supplying the system, part a matter of the DIYer's skill and/or willingness to learn.

Most anyone can learn to install a proper burglar or fire alarm with a modicum of tool skills and a little patience. I've taught countless people to do it over the years. Some require more hand holding than others. Some need no assistance at all.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

You can't install a fire alarm without a permit. You can't pull a permit without a license. At least in most states... And then you need the system commissioned... All these minor details are over-ridden by the simple fact that you're still a good dancer...

Reply to
Frank Olson

Right. Youo go to the building inspector's office, fill in the form, pay the fee and they mail you the permit. Some places give it right away though.

Wrong. Anyone can pull a permit for work he's doing on his own building.

Wrong. You don't work in most states. In fact, you don't work in any states. You live in Canada.

good dancer...

Wrong.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.