Brink's Home Security To Finally Go Away By 2012

RICHMOND, Va.--Brink's Home Security is going to have to find a new name by 2012.

Industry watchers were taken by surprise by the news, included in a lengthy May

30 SEC filing, that Brink's Home Security has been paying royalties (7 percent of revenue--roughly $33 million in 2007) to sister company Brink's, Inc., to use the Brink's Home Security name and will lose that privilege three years after the two companies are spun off into independent firms by The Brink's Company at the end of this year.

"Brink's Home Security is the mass marketing brand name of choice for the residential user; the Brink's Home Security name is golden," said industry analyst Jeff Kessler. "It's going to be a challenge to come up with another brand name [like Brink's]."

The branding news was greeted with enthusiasm by Brink's competitors. Russ Cersosimo, CEO of super regional Guardian Protection, called it "great news." He said Brink's is "the best run national company out there. I've admired Brink's and their numbers for years." Cersosimo said he's "not afraid to compete with them, but the challenge is competing with that name: Brink's is synonymous with security ... We welcome the break-up."

Did the hedge funds who were pushing for the spin-off, such as Pirate Capital and MMI Investments, know that the brand name would be going away? Or did they not care, figuring they'd be off to greener pastures by 2012? Thomas Hudson of Pirate was precluded from commenting because he sits on The Brink's Company board of directors. Clay Lifflander of MMI did not return calls from Security Systems News seeking comment.

Asked this question, Ed Cunningham, spokesman for The Brink's Company said, "As we went through the process, branding was always raised as an area of importance to both units."

Kessler, who's been following the company for years, said he'd never seen those royalty numbers spelled out in a filing before. He noted that The Pittston Company, which then owned Brink's, Inc., launched Brink's Home Security in 1983 and BHS did not become "profitable or revenue neutral for the first eight years." He surmised the royalty may have been a sort of payback to the Brink's, Inc.

Kessler also noted that The Brink's Company has a five-year non-compete agreement with BHS. At that time, The Brink's Company could launch another physical security company, although Kessler said he believes Michael Dan (CEO of The Brink's Company) would be more likely to enter the commercial industrial space, rather than the residential, light commercial business that BHS is in right now.

Asked if The Brink's Company intends to launch a new physical security company once the non-compete expires, Cunningham said, "All I can really tell you is that it won't happen before five years."

There's also a good chance, Kessler said, that Brink's Home Security may be acquired by another company within the next three years, which would render the branding question moot.

The rebranding issue will be a challenge, but BHS is in good shape and has steady-state cash flow--a metric Kessler considers important in determining the profitability of a security company's recurring base of business--"that's higher than any one I know of in the public market." He also said the "top notch executive team" at BHS, notably CEO Bob Allen and CFO Steve Yevich, mean the company "is in good hands."

Read more about it.

formatting link

Reply to
Nomen Nescio
Loading thread data ...

Who cares. I just want to spend more time fishing, and less time working.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Brinks will end up selling to Tyco or APX Alarm. APX sales force will spread enough credible rumors to the fact that Brinks is going out of business. Good riddance to Dave Simon and his crew of trunk slammers.

I think that since the Mayan calender only goes to December 12, 2012, Brinks is getting off the planet while they still can.

Reply to
Anonymous

getting off the planet while they still can.

It stops on Dec. 21, 2012

Reply to
G. Morgan

So do it. Last year you skipped the fishing trip of a lifetime in order to stay at home and work. This year's fishing season starts in November. It only takes a phone call to reserve a seat on the charter plane and a cabin on the boat. I've decided not to go fishing this year. Instead some friends and I are going on a trek into the jungle. We'll be gone two weeks -- 12 days in the forest. What the heck, you only live once or twice. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Heh, heh, heh.... Stop by and hi to these guys while you're there.

formatting link

Reply to
G. Morgan

RHC: I'm with you...just substitute "shooting and riding" for "fishing"......

If Brinks are as bad as everyone says, then may they go to hell in a hand basket ! Who cares about them (or any of the Borg companies for that matter.....)

Life's too short....

Reply to
tourman

If you were Dick Cheney you could also substitute "old friend" for "bird."

So get out there and start [shooting/fishing/riding your motorcycle] (select one or more).

Reply to
Robert L Bass

How does Starbucks Home Security sound? Get a free latte each month when you pay your monitoring on time... :)

Jim Rojas

Bob La L> Who cares. I just want to spend more time fishing, and less time working. >

** Posted from
formatting link
Reply to
Jim Rojas

Hmmm. I'd say that yours is particularly ..... ummmm short.

Reply to
Jim

Grande or Vente?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Jim you took one starbuck too many..

"Jim Rojas" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion : 909a1$48756bef$ snipped-for-privacy@news.teranews.com...

Reply to
Petem

"Jim" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion : snipped-for-privacy@f63g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...

My mom died from the same ill ness he have on the 1st of july (Canada day) , so his time is near ;-)

She was 71...

Reply to
Petem

My condolences, Pete.

Reply to
Frank Olson

The latte is free but you pay $32 a month for five years to lease the cup. Stop paying and they pour the latte on your leg. No, wait. That's McDonalds.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

if you stop paying, they will pull a gun on you..no, wait...that's bass!!

Reply to
BDEBJ

thanks Frank

Reply to
Petem

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.