HD CCTV?

Okay, wanting to know if anyone knows of a CCTV-style video camera with actual HD output that could feed (preferably in 1080p) directly into an HDTV receiver, whether it be component, HDMI, etc. - basically something that's JUST a video camera, relatively compact, no recording.

Only option I've been able to come up with so far is ONE Sony 'handycam'-type unit with HDMI output - most HD camcorders only only seem to output standard composite/S-video for monitoring and HD is just transferred to the computer via Firewire.

Hi-res IP cameras are an outside option, but that requires a computer to get the picture onto an HDTV - sort of unwanted extra complexity and expense.

Reply to
Matt Ion
Loading thread data ...

What is your application?

Reply to
Roland

Sony makes a model DRC-H700 camera with 1080i HD output. They refer to it as a robotic camera. The intended use is for video conferencing. We sell it online.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I'm not 100% sure. I'm told the client wants something he can plug into his existing HDTV. Apparently he doesn't understand why he needs a computer to view an IP camera as well... *sigh*

Reply to
Matt Ion

a robotic camera. The intended use is for video

I think that's the one my boss already found... no, I'm not buying anything from you.

Reply to
Matt Ion

Hmm, nope, not the same one he found. And US$9k list is a little beyond the price range, especially when a suitable IP camera would only need a $300 computer behind it...

Reply to
Matt Ion

They're available through distribution. I was trying to help.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Your client wants HD. Does he think he's going to get it for cheap?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

They're available through distribution. I was trying to help you locate the correct product. Best of luck finding something.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Atta boy...

Anyway, does the customer *really* need 1080p???? Very few monitors will display it, and besides --- how much movement is happening to justify that kind of bandwidth?

Look around for the cams they use to 'film' documentaries on the Discovery Channel and such - the cams are surprisingly cheap.

formatting link

Consumer grade HD:

formatting link

-cracker

Reply to
Chingas

No, but I hardly think we'll be able to sell him on $9k for a single camera.

Reply to
Matt Ion

Don't get too excited... I'm not hopping on the anti-Bass bandwagon just yet, but I also don't like being pandered to. Obviously I'm not just some DIY shmoe dropping by here for Bass to sell stuff to. I asked for suggestions, not sources.

Well, I finally got some more details on the "project". It's a, uh... shall we say, 'service facility' (no, nothing tawdry, just don't want to give away too many details on a POTENTIAL client) where they want to display live events on an existing big-screen flatpanel *and* projector within the facility. Still waiting for details on each to find out what they even have for inputs.

Of course, since we originally pushed the IP-camera idea, they've decided that since they needed to have a computer anyway, they should also want to be able to webcast AND burn off DVDs for the departing customers as well, but of course, they want it all to be "easy", and I can't come up with any way to really do this with an IP camera - recording to the PC and then transcoding and authoring a DVD is just too time-consuming and not particularly mindless.

Tentative idea at this point is to use a Sony HDR-SR1, which can output via HDMI (only one I've found so far with that capability) to the big display, record in SD to an internal hard drive in MPEG-2 format (that can then be readily dumped to the PC via USB for DVD authoring), and ultimately I suppose, streamed to web through a simple video-capture box from the composite output.

Whether they REALLY need 1080p, I don't know... I guess it's more a matter of, their existing TV is capable of it, so they want to use it all. Frankly, I'm not even convinced that they really even need better than SD, but hey, it's their money - mine is not to reason why.

formatting link
Thanks, I'll check those out...

Reply to
Matt Ion

don't forget your markup. :)

Reply to
spike

I guess next you will be asking where to get one that's coin operated :-)

Reply to
CWatters

Explain what HD vs. "hi res" costs and show him a hi res conventional image. He'll be happy to order from you. And no, I won't sell you anything.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

but I also don't like being pandered to. Obviously

asked for suggestions, not sources.

I assumed you were a dealer and offered a suggestion. I had no intention of sourcing anything for you since presumably you can order the same places I do.

No. He probably saw how great TV looks in HD and assumed CCTV would be just as good without realizing how much HD costs.

Lots of monitors will display it. The problem is they're also very expensive and for CCTV it's not worth the cost.

You may find it easier to implement using an Internet-ready DVR such as Speco's new one. I mentioned it recently (don't recall which thread). The customer uses a web browser to view / operate the DVR. Connect a few conventional or IP cameras to the DVR. Let them use the PC's built-in DVD burner and you won't have to service it.

Probably not but you really need to find that out for sure first or you'll price yourself out of the job trying to accommodate a want that isn't a need.

Ignoring the original rudeness in return for replying to your request for help, I'm not trying to sell you anything. If you happen to need something I sell I'll give you the number of my distributor. However, I neither said nor did anything to deserve your rude response.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.