Gemini P3200 and RP1CAe2 keypad

In doing a new installation with a P3200 panel and RP1CAe2 keypad, I noticed that the even though the keypad works fine, the characters are sometimes garbled.

For instance the date/time on the LCD is: 06#08#06 04*50PM

instead of: 06/08/06 04:50PM

The keypad is fine because I tried three of them with the same results.

Other menu areas on the keypad are garbled as well but not when you configure the keypad.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Michelle
Loading thread data ...

Michelle,

May want to check the install manual for the 3200. There are issues of compatability between panel and keypads...not all rp1cae2 keypad are compatible with all versions of the the 3200.

3200 v 40 and higher requires keypads be version 8c.

Check the manual for more info.

Regards Jewellfish

Michelle wrote:

Reply to
jewellfish

I have seen this with other brands when the wire gets ran to close to power wires. This may be a possiblility......

James

Reply to
J Barnes

The version I see.. on the sticker beside the master security code says v30B. The panel and keypads are all new. I noted this problem with the stuff just sitting on a table and temporarily connecting a keypad and the power, and using the PCI-mini to program. I can just return it, but I wanted to ensure it wasn't something I did... although from all the P3200's.. I've done, I've never seen this.

jewellfish wrote:

Reply to
Michelle

I just had the panel and keypad temporarily connected on a table with the power supply. :)

J Barnes wrote:

Reply to
Michelle

You didn't try programming them to say something like "Go ahead make my day" did you?

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Newp :P

Mark Leuck wrote:

Reply to
Michelle

You've likely got an incompatability problem between keypads and panel. The first thing I'd suggest is call Napco Tech support and give them the rev #'s of the keypads and panel. They'll tell you right off what's compatable and what's not.

He's some other things you can try. If you have an "old" panel and a new keypad, you should not be able to get into user programing to change the user codes.

If you CAN get into user programing, then it's not likely an incompatability problem. That is ..... not LIKELY .... but still possible. Then try this. With the panel and keypad in the system ready mode, hold down keys 1234 simultaniously. Watch the alpha display and you'll see a very brief " force reset " appear. Then take a look at the display for the anomalies you described.

Also, what if you choose not to show the time and date? Are there problems with any other parts of the display? Could be it's isolated to only the time/date. (?)

Reply to
Jim

This is an inside joke Michelle.

We have one idiot here, by the name of Robert Bass who says he can program this on one line of a Napco keypad. Yet he claims to be a Napco "expert"

Reply to
Jim

Trouble maker! LOL :o) People recall the darndest things.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Try rebooting the microprocessor on the P3200. This can be done by placing the programming jumper (upper, right area of the P3200 circuit board) in the "config" position for a few seconds and then returning it to the "run" position. Sometimes that solves the problem you're experiencing.

Like another poster mentioned, I've seen this happen when the keypad wires are run close to house 110VAC cables. Since your system is only being bench tested that shouldn't be an issue though.

If you don't get it resolved and you're a dealer ask the distributor for a replacement panel and keypad. If you're an end user contact me and I'll get it replaced under warranty.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.