Exxis security monitor model EO5214QC

This security monitor has four camera inputs and a built in sequencer. It clicks only and will not power up. The camera cables connect to the monitor with 6 pin RJ45 type modular connectors. I'm not familiar with this system at all. Is this digital video or composite? Are there any service notes on this unit or is anyone familiar with it? If this is composite then with baluns installed on the cables I should be able to substitute a different monitor and external switcher if the the monitor is unrepairable right? Thanks for any advice. Lenny Stein, Barlen Electronics.

Reply to
captainvideo462002
Loading thread data ...

Its a composite signal from camera you should be able to capture to a standad monitor if you can figure out the wiring most times on these type systems 2 wires are dc power 2 for audio and 2 for video . i have been able to get some cameras to work fine like the ultrak cams .

Reply to
Nick Markowitz

Was this an expensive system when it was new? Is this a home Depot or Lowes type of end user installed thing also? Lenny.

Reply to
captainvideo462002

Hi Nick I got a chance to work on this monitor this afternoon. My description of the problem was based on what the customer told me without trying it out first, I should have confirmed the problem and been more specific. Anyway when I plugged it in it made a squealing sound like the power supply was running off frequency. The HOT was good and there were no obvious shorts anywhere. I ultimately found a bad 100uf electrolytic in the SMPS. Now when you power up there is about a 2 second audible tone like that from a piezo. During this time the front panel LED's all light. After 2 seconds the lights go out. It looks like a self test sequence to me but what do I know. Then pressing the momentary power button causes the red LED next to it to stay on as long as you hold in the button. The Quad light at this point is on too. When you let go of the power button the red power light goes out and the quad stays on. At this point you can press the other function buttons and cause those lights to operate. The unit seems to be powered up but there is no HV. The customer says that she never heard any type of tone when turning this unit on in the morning. Could this be some kind of warning tone letting me know that there are no cameras plugged in? And could this thing be smart enough to inhibit the HV from firing up in this case? Having never seen one of these things I don't know if all this is normal behavior. Do I need to haul this back to the store and connect it up to actually test it out? I appreciate any thoughts you may have. Lenny Stein.

Reply to
captainvideo462002

The tone you hear when first powering up is a door bell tone as the system has a door phone feature as long as your polarity is right on cameras you should have a picture on monitor sounds like your monitor might be blown.

Reply to
Nick Markowitz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.