Residential video surveillance questions

I would like to find out if there is an easy and relatively inexpensive way to set up a single video surveillance camera to cover the back yard area of a property that I own and have rented out to a tenant. The tenant has a computer and Internet access and would be more than willing to use his computer for this.

Here's what I would like to be able to do if possible:

1) add one video camera on the back wall of the building under the eave;

2) have the camera be always live, but also motion activated so that it only records and saves the recording when there is motion in front of the camera;

3) have the camera record the activities when it is activated by motion and save the recording on my tenant's computer;

4) have the recordings not take up too much space on the tenant's computer -- maybe up to 10 GB at the most -- before re-recording over the old recording; and,

5) have the live camera and recording be accessible remotely via the Internet either by the tenant, or by both the tenant and me;

I don't think the camera would need night vision capability because it will be mounted next to a motion sensing security light that is already in place, so at night, the area will be well-lit by the security light during any motion activity outside.

I have a little bit of ability to set up a separate hosted website if that would help in terms of creating Internet access to what the camera sees, both live and, if possible, what is recorded.

The purpose of all of this is to capture and record any break-ins etc. that take place in the back yard area where the camera is pointed. It will not be meant as an alarm system, but just a way to look back after the fact if there is any foul play and have some video record of what took place and by who.

I started doing a Google search about this, but can't seem to find what I want. I assume that it is a matter of finding the right type of camera and maybe software that goes with it for the computer.

I can explain more if needed and/or answer any questions.

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas.

Reply to
TomR
Loading thread data ...

My suggestion would be to buy a DVR with NIC (network interface controller/Card), a 500GB-1TB HDD, Remote Connectivity Software (Included) and don't mount the camera too close to your light source (Flood Lights)and be done with it. :)

Reply to
spam

r/Card), a 500GB-1TB HDD, Remote Connectivity Software (Included) and don't= mount the camera too close to your light source (Flood Lights)and be done = with it. :)

hear, hear.

recommend looking at Super Circuits Product Line:

Reply to
Robert Macy

Thanks. As was also suggested here, I checked out

formatting link

I found this one, for example:

formatting link

I assume that I could set this system up and connect it to my tenant's computer and Internet access. If I did that, would it have to record everything 24/7, or could I set it up to only record when motion in the back yard is detected?

Reply to
TomR

On Friday, January 4, 2013 5:04:08 PM UTC-5, TomR wrote:

ay to set up a single video surveillance camera to cover the back yard area= of a property that I own and have rented out to a tenant. The tenant has a= computer and Internet access and would be more than willing to use his com= puter for this. Here's what I would like to be able to do if possible: 1) a= dd one video camera on the back wall of the building under the eave; 2) hav= e the camera be always live, but also motion activated so that it only reco= rds and saves the recording when there is motion in front of the camera; 3)= have the camera record the activities when it is activated by motion and s= ave the recording on my tenant's computer; 4) have the recordings not take = up too much space on the tenant's computer -- maybe up to 10 GB at the most= -- before re-recording over the old recording; and, 5) have the live camer= a and recording be accessible remotely via the Internet either by the tenan= t, or by both the tenant and me; I don't think the camera would need night = vision capability because it will be mounted next to a motion sensing secur= ity light that is already in place, so at night, the area will be well-lit = by the security light during any motion activity outside. I have a little b= it of ability to set up a separate hosted website if that would help in ter= ms of creating Internet access to what the camera sees, both live and, if p= ossible, what is recorded. The purpose of all of this is to capture and rec= ord any break-ins etc. that take place in the back yard area where the came= ra is pointed. It will not be meant as an alarm system, but just a way to l= ook back after the fact if there is any foul play and have some video recor= d of what took place and by who. I started doing a Google search about this= , but can't seem to find what I want. I assume that it is a matter of findi= ng the right type of camera and maybe software that goes with it for the co= mputer. I can explain more if needed and/or answer any questions. Thanks fo= r any suggestions or ideas.

I looked briefly and didn't see any reference to motion detection recording= was a feature of the DVR.

I'd suggest you call them and ask.

Reply to
Jim

On Monday, January 7, 2013 1:42:03 PM UTC-5, Jim wrote: =20

ng was a feature of the DVR.

I agree, most nowadays do, but you better call to make sure before you buy.= These devices are pretty much self contained. The only thing you need a PC= for is remote Viewing software to connect remotely. As long as there is a = BNC type CCTV (or depending on the DVR, a VGA...) Monitor hooked up to the = DVR, there is no need for a PC at the same location as the DVR.

Reply to
spam

A word of caution on using Video Motion Detection on a DVR, make sure you a= djust the sensitivity Grid in the settings and mask out things like blowing= tree leaves, Swaying trees, Flags (on a pole etc.) or anything else that m= ight set it to recording, read the instructions on how to set up video moti= on and masking, otherwise you will just defeat yourself or the purpose of V= ideo Motion itself, by having it record NOTHING or EVERYTHING.

Reply to
spam

Good point. Thanks. I just recently set up a motion sensing security light at one part of the location in question. Then I later noticed that the light was coming on once in a while when no one was around. It turned out to be that on a windy day it would pick up a nearby pine tree that was swaying and that would activate the light. So, I had to adjust it away from where the tree is located which solved that problem.

Reply to
TomR

I don't really know what a BNC type CCTV Monitor is although I'm sure I could find out with a Google search or two. But, do most of these security type DVR's have the ability to play back on a regular TV if I wanted to do that?

Reply to
TomR

On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 10:51:35 AM UTC-5, TomR wrote: =20

A BNC connector (Bayonet Neill=96Concelman) is the quick connect/disconnect= (quarter turn) RF connector used for coaxial cable. Monitors made specific= ally for CCTV (Closed Circuit Television) systems usually have this type of= connector on them, but many newer DVR's (since they are essentially a comp= uter with modified video boards in them to accept multiple video inputs) no= w come with a VGA Computer Monitor connector and sometimes a BNC output as = well. The second part (about playback on a "Regular TV") begs the question: What'= s a "Regular TV"? :) It really depends on the type of TV and what inputs are available on it. Si= nce most flat screens don't have a BNC Input, I suppose if you wanted to, y= ou could use the VGA to the Flat screen VGA Input, or you could buy adapter= s at Radio Shack or other electronics store to convert the BNC to RCA conne= ctors which most if not all New TV's have. Before you ask, RCA connectors a= re the kind on most Stereo (Audio/Speaker) Cables/Connectors and Video Game= Consoles (Audio/Video: Red/ White/Yellow) Cables/Connectors. But yes, the short answer is YES. :)

Reply to
spam

Thanks again.

For now, I am thinking of maybe just installing a temporary system like this one:

formatting link

I can place the cameras in and the receiver in locations that are secure. And, if we have a break-in or problem, I can go back later and look at the video clips by playing them back on a TV etc.

Reply to
TomR

On Wednesday, January 9, 2013 3:21:51 PM UTC-5, TomR wrote:

, TomR wrote: > >> I don't really know what a BNC type CCTV Monitor is alth= ough I'm >> sure I >> >> could find out with a Google search or two. But, d= o most of these >> security >> >> type DVR's have the ability to play back = on a regular TV if I wanted >> to do >> >> that? > > A BNC connector (Bayon= et Neill=96Concelman) is the quick > connect/disconnect (quarter turn) RF c= onnector used for coaxial > cable. Monitors made specifically for CCTV (Clo= sed Circuit > Television) systems usually have this type of connector on th= em, but > many newer DVR's (since they are essentially a computer with modi= fied > video boards in them to accept multiple video inputs) now come with = a > VGA Computer Monitor connector and sometimes a BNC output as well. > Th= e second part (about playback on a "Regular TV") begs the question: > What'= s a "Regular TV"? :) > It really depends on the type of TV and what inputs = are available on > it. Since most flat screens don't have a BNC Input, I su= ppose if you > wanted to, you could use the VGA to the Flat screen VGA Inpu= t, or you > could buy adapters at Radio Shack or other electronics store to= > convert the BNC to RCA connectors which most if not all New TV's > have.= Before you ask, RCA connectors are the kind on most Stereo > (Audio/Speake= r) Cables/Connectors and Video Game Consoles > (Audio/Video: Red/ White/Yel= low) Cables/Connectors. > But yes, the short answer is YES. :) Thanks again= . For now, I am thinking of maybe just installing a temporary system like t= his one:

formatting link
. I can place the cameras in and the receiver in locations that are= secure. And, if we have a break-in or problem, I can go back later and loo= k at the video clips by playing them back on a TV etc.

The resolution is pretty poor in multicamera view and you're only getting 1=

5 frames per second. That means you will be getting a "jerky" picture playb= ack.=20

Don't believe the 30 foot night view spec, they're not usually as good as t= hey say they are.. even on professionl cameras. so on a DIY system I would = think it would be worse.=20

If you're trying to see a large area, you're not gong to get a very good vi= ew of who the person is. You'll only know that "someone" was there. If it's= a close up view of the person like someone standing at your door, it will = work better, but will still be kind of blurry. At night I'm guessing it'll = be all but worthless for ID purposes, unless they get up very close to the = camera. I would investigate further on how you go about playing back the vi= deo. But for the price ..... at least it's "something".

Reply to
Jim

On Thursday, January 10, 2013 10:28:26 PM UTC-5, Jim wrote: Thanks again. For now, I am thinking of maybe just installing a temporary = system like this one:

formatting link
. I can place the cameras in and the receiver in locat= ions that are secure. And, if we have a break-in or problem, I can go back = later and look at the video clips by playing them back on a TV etc.

15 frames per second. That means you will be getting a "jerky" picture pla= yback.=20

they say they are.. even on professionl cameras. so on a DIY system I woul= d think it would be worse.=20

view of who the person is. You'll only know that "someone" was there. If it= 's a close up view of the person like someone standing at your door, it wil= l work better, but will still be kind of blurry. At night I'm guessing it'l= l be all but worthless for ID purposes, unless they get up very close to th= e camera. I would investigate further on how you go about playing back the = video. But for the price ..... at least it's "something".

I'm sorry I don't have time to respond with more detail but Jim is right. I= f you look at ALL of the specs on this system, they are very poor. Don't me= an to be blunt but IMHO, total JUNK, don't waste your hard earned money on = this "Temporary" system, save it for the "Permanent" system.

Reply to
spam

Thanks. That's good information. When looking at the various specs, I don't know enough about what they mean to know if the system will be adequate or not. But it sounds like it's not very good, especially if I use more than one camera. I think I'm going to keep looking around for different options.

Reply to
TomR

Thanks. I really do appreciate the feedback.

Reply to
TomR

On Saturday, January 12, 2013 10:48:22 AM UTC-5, TomR wrote: =20

I can't teach you 30 years of experience on here in a few sentences so let = me just say this when it comes to Video Cameras:

First, in general the better the specs/settings, the more data used on the = hard drive. so less recording time. So, with that being said, keep these things in mind:

Recorded Image Resolution: The higher the better. (1024x768 is better than =

640x480) TVL or (Horizontal) Lines of resolution: The higher the better (470-540 Lin= es) The resolution of the monitor must be higher than the camera. This is n= ot a problem with Black and white monitors, but is a problem with most colo= r monitors as they usually have a lower resolution as compared with a camer= a. Lux (seeing in low light): The lower the better Lens: Smaller the number (mm)the wider the picture, but further away (less = detail) and below 2.5mm - 3.0mm you get "Fish Eye" distortion in the pictur= e. The LARGER the number (mm) the closer the view (more detail). The more light in the viewing area, the better the picture, but again, more= data being used. (white pixels are ON, black pixels are OFF)so a brighter = image uses more data than a darker image. Don't aim the camera directly at a light source (light bulb, sun, etc.) or = you will burn out the image chip same as your eye. Avoid looking at sunrise= /sunset in a direct angle view. Opt for an Auto Iris Camera for outdoor use. Higher light levels cause the = iris to close as needed. In my opinion, since you are putting this on his network anyway and you see= m to be concerned with identification of someone in the yard doing "bad" th= ings. for a higher cost but much greater detail, just put an IP camera in. = They are High Def. cameras with a resolution and clarity that cannot be ach= ieved with analog CCTV cameras. (Coax data throughput has reached it's limi= t with analog cams). A 1.3 Megapixel IP camera has a res. of 960 lines and = a 3.1 MP cam has 1536 lines compared to the highest analog (Color) of 540 l= ines (B&W is 600 Lines). So, figure out what you REALLY need and what you c= an REALLY afford, take a look at that link and then go shopping. :) Good Lu= ck!

Here, this should help you some more:

formatting link

Reply to
spam

Oh, I almost forgot... FPS (Frames Per Second) or IPS (Images Per Second) The higher the better (a= gain, more data used) Think of this in this way, the human eye sees at a rate of about 60 frames = per second, but down to about 30fps, we can't tell the difference. 15fps (a= nd lower) as Jim said, will give you a "Time Lapsed" or "Jerky" recording o= f an event. But in most cases it is sufficient for store entrances and such= . Just to capture a few frames of a face or watch someone walk across a roo= m to follow their actions. However, you are wanting to record on video moti= on (which by the way is actually triggered by a change in contrast (light v= s dark) of the image) and hopefully your DVR will be set up correctly to al= low a higher record rate without using up your hard drive too quickly. I wo= uld suggest trying a happy medium between 15fps and 30fps and review the qu= ality and adjust as needed.

Reply to
spam

Hosted Video surveillance or Video surveillance as a Service is another eco nomical option. Here you don't need to invest in expensive NVRs or DVRs. In stead, all the videos will be stored in secure servers for upto 30 days. Th e biggest advantages of these systems are that they give you near real time alerts to your mobile as SMS or as push messages and can provide direct ac cess to your recorded videos, which I guess is not available in standalone systems. In a way hosted systems are more into proactive surveillance. A go od example of a similar service is

formatting link

Most of these systems won't even exhaust your bandwidth as new cameras have h264 streaming, which will even work in low bandwidth connections. These c ameras also provide motion detection, audio detection, tampering detection, PIR detection etc etc.

Reply to
ravikn123

On Wednesday, September 11, 2013 12:48:03 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote :

conomical option. Here you don't need to invest in expensive NVRs or DVRs. Instead, all the videos will be stored in secure servers for upto 30 days. The biggest advantages of these systems are that they give you near real ti me alerts to your mobile as SMS or as push messages and can provide direct access to your recorded videos, which I guess is not available in standalon e systems. In a way hosted systems are more into proactive surveillance. A good example of a similar service is

formatting link
Most of these syste ms won't even exhaust your bandwidth as new cameras have h264 streaming, wh ich will even work in low bandwidth connections. These cameras also provide motion detection, audio detection, tampering detection, PIR detection etc etc.

I'm sorry but in the long months that have passed since the original questi on was asked, the original poster has died and gone to heaven.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.