DSC keyfob 5 digit serial number

I'm trying to add a wireless keyfob to a version 1.0 DSC PC5010. The receiver is a RF5108 V1.0 and I can connect to it via DSL2002 and it's looking for a 5-digit serial number. The ESN on the fob is 6 digits and the box or fob doesn't list any 5-digit number. I've tried truncating the first or last digit, but no success. Anyone know how to input a 5-digit code from the 6-digit ESN?

Reply to
Tower Security
Loading thread data ...

If you left mouse click the 5, a check the box will appear. You check it off, and it will switch from 5 digit to 6 digit ESN.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

If the 5010 programming does not support 6 digit ESN at all, you will have to call DSC support to get the correct conversion.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

The 5 or 6 field is greyed out and I can't alter that field in the DLS software. I suspect because the download software knows that it's connected to a PC5010 version 1.0 and the "Note" under that field says

5-digit serial numbers must be used if this module is used with PC5010 V1.0

I wonder whether DSC has some conversion from a 6-digit ESN to 5- digit? Or am I stuck unless I find an older fob that lists both 6- digit and 5-digit ESNs?

Reg

Reply to
Tower Security

This is the conversion they do

1. The 1st digit of ESN number is also 1st digit of SN
  2. Open up calculator in Microsoft Windows
  3. Click on VIEW at top of calculator and select SCIENTIFIC
3a. Click on HEX button at top left of calculator
  1. Input the 2nd, 3rd and 4th characters or numbers of the ESN number
  2. Click on DEC button at top left of calculator
  3. These are the last 4 digits of the SN number Example: ESN 26DA4A would be SN 21754
Reply to
mleuck

1. The 1st digit of ESN number is also 1st digit of SN
  2. Open up calculator in Microsoft Windows
  3. Click on VIEW at top of calculator and select SCIENTIFIC (or PROGRAMMING in Vista or Win 7)
3a. Click on HEX button at top left of calculator
  1. Input the 2nd, 3rd and 4th characters or numbers of the ESN number
  2. Click on DEC button at top left of calculator
  3. These are the last 4 digits of the SN number Example: ESN 26DA4A would be SN 21754

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Awesome!!! It's too late for me to download the panel and test it, but that looks to be the solution as the DLS software accepts the converted 5-digit ESN

Thanks a bunch!!!

Reply to
Tower Security

I forgot to post the rest of it, here's the entire process

1. The 1st digit of ESN number is also 1st digit of SN 2. Open up calculator in Microsoft Windows 3. Click on VIEW at top of calculator and select SCIENTIFIC 4. Click on HEX button at top left of calculator 5. Input the 2nd, 3rd and 4th characters or numbers of the ESN number 6. Click on DEC button at top left of calculator 7. These are the last 4 digits of the SN number Example: ESN 26DA4A would be SN 21754
  2. If 0 is 2nd digit use 3rd and 4th digits into calculator then add
00 to beginning of the result Example: If ESN is 6039E9 1. The 1st digit (6) of ESN number is also 1st digit of SN 2. Click on VIEW at top of calculator and select SCIENTIFIC 3. Click on HEX button at top left of calculator 4. Enter 3rd and 4th digit (39) 5. Click DEC button, the result should be 57 6. The SN number will be 60057
Reply to
mleuck

You are almost better off with a v2 or higher 5010, that v1 was odd in how it handled hardwire and wireless sensors.

Reply to
mleuck

And someone said Napco software is a pain???

Reply to
Robert L Bass

No, DSC's software has a simple check box to toggle 5 or 6-digit serial numbers in fact it's amazing he missed it. The calculation I posted has nothing to do with the software other than determining the converted serial number to use modern sensors on ancient and rare PC5010 v1.0 or WS5010 panels.

Napco's software on the other hand is bloated, slow and has a terrible interface regardless of the wireless sensors and panels it is programming.

Reply to
mleuck

I tried toggling the 5 digits to 6 even before my first post but it's not an option. I suspect DSC software is smart enough to know what number of digits is required based on the panel that it's connected to. Despite a fiddly conversion, the fact that my customer can purchase a current wireless receiver and fob that works on a panel that is 14 years old is remarkable.

Reply to
Tower Security

It was a good panel but v2 really made it a classic

Reply to
mleuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.