Dream system to monitor new driver?

Build a computer and mount in the trunk of the car. Have a 4-channel DVR with one or more cameras.

Problems:

1. Have the computer boot up when power is on via DC/AC inverter. How do you set so the motherboard boots up when power is applied without having to push the "on" button?

1. Once the computer booted up. I would auto run the DVR software and assume start recording to the hard drive. When the driver shut of the car at the end of the trip, we would loose power and the computer would died which would corrupt the video file. I need a way to stop the DVR gracefully after the engine is off.

Thanks

Reply to
qdn
Loading thread data ...

There are 12 VDC embedded DVR's made specifically for mobile applications. Harddrive damping and heat are two other issues to consider. Google "mobile DVR" for some ideas.

Reply to
J.

formatting link
A friend installed one like these, (I'm not sure which one). Said it worked great!

rqo

Reply to
rqo

Most computer have an option in the BIOS setup (usually under Power Management) for how to handle loss-of-power - either to remain off, to return to the previous state, or to power up regardless.

Most UPS (UNINTERUPTABLE Power Supply, not "universal" as many claim... aka "battery backup") units will connect to the computer via USB or serial port, and with installed drivers/software, can signal the system to shut down gracefully, either immediately upon input power loss, after a set period of time, or when the battery discharges to a certain level. They generally have several outlets that feed off the battery, so you could run the cameras off battery as well, and keep them recording for several minutes after the car is shut off.

Another poster had a better suggestion though: look into a dedicated mobile DVR.

Reply to
Matt Ion

Instead of recording locally with a DVR, maybe look into using a video encoder (Bosch or Verint or Axis) and send it wirelessly via Internet back to your place. You'll get real time and recorded video.

Reply to
Roland Moore

They need to be line-of-sight, won't work in a car.

Reply to
G. Morgan

You don't always need line of sight for wireless video. In areas where there is a city-wide WiFi network, you could use that. In fact there is an 802.11x standard being developed specifically for mobile applications. That's how some jurisdictions are sending video to police cars and cops using PDA's in places like Seal Beach, CA. In areas where there is highspeed cellular interent access, theoretically you could use a Bosch VIP module, Verint Smartsight, or probably Axis (mnever used them) to convert video to IP. An alternative would be to use IP cameras. You would then have to use an highspeed aircard to get the video on the network. I've never attempted this, so I'm unsure if it would work.

Reply to
J.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.