Datalogger to Test False Alarms on Sensor

Robert doesn't understand what you wish to accomplish. The negatives on this panel are "common". You can (with a little rewiring) run two sensors off the same quad. To do this, take the negative power lead at the motion sensors and wire it to the switch commons on each PIR. Remove the zone wire you have terminated for "common" inside the control (or zone expander), and wire it to an unused zone terminal. Program the old sensor into an unused partition as a non-reporting zone. Program the new sensor on the formerly unused zone as a normal burg zone. The panel will now "track" both sensors in the event buffer which you can download once a week or so. Now, if you're having a wiring related problem (that's causing the old sensor to false), you're going to wind up with *both* sensors experiencing the same problem at almost the same time. You may be looking at running a new wire out there in that instance. Good luck!!!

Reply to
Frank Olson
Loading thread data ...

No, sir. It does not require additional wiring. This is mainly a programming change. The wiring remains the same.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

That is correct. You don't need new wires (unless you later determine that there's a problem with the wires you already have).

It is also good advice to check the circuit with an Ohm-meter. One simple method is to disconnect the power and zone wiring at both ends. Then tie the red to black and yellow (or white) to the green at the sensor end. Now read the resistance of each pair. Each pair should be only a few Ohms and both should be about the same. If either is much higher than the other, something's afoot with your cable.

While you're at it, check the resistance between each conductor and the panel's earth ground. Some panels behave erratically if there's a low-grade short to ground on a zone loop.

Finally, hook the sensor back up to the panel, restore power (which should have been taken off before you began work, BTW) and check the voltage at the

• and - inputs to the sensor. If the cable is too long and/or too small you might have enough voltage drop to cause problems with the sensor. The sensor's instruction sheet specifies what is the acceptable DC operating voltage.
Reply to
Robert L Bass

FYI, air blowing in front of (but not on) the sensor won't affect it unless the air is causing something to move about. Air blowing directly at the sensor can cause problems.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Man, great troubleshooting story... I wish I could think of one I've seen but none of mine are all that noteworthy but I hope the thread continues.

Reply to
mikey

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.