cctv cable length question

How much is "too much" extra in a cctv cable run? Does leaving "extra" cable for possible future camera moves affect the picture quality? When I say extra, I'm talking over 10-15 feet extra. Also, does coiling the extra cable affect the picture quality?

The longest run so far is about 75 foot.

Thanks for any advice.

rqo

Reply to
rqo
Loading thread data ...

I wouldn't worry about it. It's not going to make that much of a difference on such short runs. If you can't find a nice way of concealing the "extra" (or coiling it neatly out of the way) though, your customer may comment.

Reply to
Frank Olson

I guess that would depend on the cable quality. I have been told that you should have no issues with runs upto 750' of RG-59 95% Cu coax. I can tell you if they are on different buildings or powered from different places you run more risk of having ground loop interferrence than appreciable signal loss.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I ran it myself. (I am the customer, lol.... but your point is well taken)

Thanks!

Reply to
rqo

The cable says, "E111077 CM SIAMESE 2/18AWG + RG59/U 20AWG (UL) C(UL) FT4

076618 FT"

I'm not an installer, but a dedicated do-it-'and learn'-yourselfer !

Thanks!

ps: This group has been very educational and a great source of information.

rqo

Reply to
rqo

75 feet is nothing. I always leave extra cable to accomodate moving the camera if possible. 10-15 ft. won't mean anything. js
Reply to
alarman

you'll be fine - just don't make a big coil and lay it down on top of 220VAC line in your attic :-) the center conductor should be solid copper not clad

| >> The longest run so far is about 75 foot. | >>

| >> Thanks for any advice. | >>

| >> rqo | >

| > I guess that would depend on the cable quality. I have been told that you | > should have no issues with runs upto 750' of RG-59 95% Cu coax. I can | > tell you if they are on different buildings or powered from different | > places you run more risk of having ground loop interferrence than | > appreciable signal loss. | >

| >

| > -- | > Bob La Londe | > Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River | > Fishing Forums & Contests | >

formatting link
| >

| >

| >

| > -- | > Posted via a free Usenet account from

formatting link
| > Warning: Do not use Ultimate-Anonymity | > They are worthless spammers that are running a scam. | >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Sound like copper CCTV cable. Should be no issue.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

You should be fine as Crash says. No issues. The only other thing I can think of is some el cheapo cameras might not be able to push 750' of cable, but for your short runs you should have no problems from the cable.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Thanks! That's good news. So far the picture has been fine.

rqo

Reply to
rqo

You could always hang a few cats from the extra cable loops.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Only if you can't see me do it on the recording....

rqo

Reply to
rqo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.