Are there any convenient alarm systems?

I'm shopping around for a complete "intruder detection" package and everyone seems to offer the same thing:

• 24/7 Monitoring
  • Piercing 100db siren
  • 4-digit security code to enter and leave your house, go to sleep, or wake up
  • Included fire protection

None of these are very important to me, in fact, they seem like they would be a nuisance. I'm reminded of earlier years putting up with constant false alarms, to the point that we finally stopped using the system at all.

So I'm wondering: does anyone build a system with the convenience of the homeowner in mind?

What I'm imagining is something as simple as my car alarm - a small key fob for each of us to enable and disable the alarm system, or maybe a system that works in conjunction with deadbolt locks so that I can continue to use my key to enter the house without worrying about the alarm. I'd *really like* to not have to enter a keypad code ever again in my life, much less multiple times daily. Also, I'd rather be notified by door chimes when a door is opened, not set off an alarm.

I'm also hoping to find smarter scheduling that will let us differentiate how it responds when we're asleep at home vs. out of the house vs. awake in the house, rather than just "ARMED" vs "DISARMED". In other words, a glass break is always a serious event at any time but opening any door isn't, except maybe after we've gone to bed it could set off an inside alarm to wake us up.

This might even be a smarthome question rather than just an alarm system. But I figure someone must be addressing this problem even if it costs a bit more? For me, price is not a concern when compared to building a system which will help us enforce good habits like making sure all the doors are locked while we're gone, rather than punishing us for not tailoring our lives to the limits of simple magnetic sensors.

So - have you guys heard of anything like this?

Thanks in advance! Steve

Reply to
steveeisner
Loading thread data ...

In looking around since posting, the Napco "Freedom" lock seems like it might fit the bill... It integrates directly into deadbolt locks so that locking & unlocking them can arm the system. Also it has several "I'm home now" vs. "I'm away" modes. Seems like a pretty good solution. Also noticed the "MyKey 2300" which is an RFID deadbolt that works alone - not part of a monitored system. Doesn't look exactly right for my needs (still would need window protection, doesn't protect against entry when accidentally left unlocked, etc) but seems pretty cool! Anyway, thanks again if you can help me uncover more such products...

Reply to
steveeisner

Almost any modern alarm panel can be setup to meet your needs. remote arming and disarming. Away/Home/Home instant. Chime is selctable, etc etc etc... I don't care for deadbolt arming, but it can be done with most system by a competant installer. I think the Napco Freedom is a bit limited in its capabilities, but it is designed to be quick and easy. I am a Napco installer by the way.

Sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what you want. If you don'tmind paying for expertise then I am sure you can find a local company to install it for you.

If you are looking for a DIY solutions that is doable too, but there are only a few dealers here who will be interested in helping you.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I guess I had two problems:

One is that when the ADT guy visited, he didn't bring a modern panel (it was an Ademco unit if that matters.) And the key fobs were huge and he wanted $95 each for them. Not that I'm against paying for convenience, but my car alarm came with "freebies" thrown in, why does a home alarm system charge 200% markup on them?

Second is that searching on the net finds so many of the same-ol-same-ol installers that it's really hard to find a local installer with expertise. It seems that words like "alarm system" and "home security" are so valuable that all the national players have bought all the ad space. If anyone has a recommendation in Seattle I'd appreciate the lead!

I've found one guy who's coming by tomorrow and I hope he'll be able to offer some good options. I'm just surprised that there aren't more "smarthome + alarm" packages available. All the security tech seems like 1980's X10 equipment? Not that that's bad, had some X10 and it worked, but device UI has improved since then ....?

Thanks for the advice! Steve

Reply to
steveeisner

I'm sorry but you miscalculated. The markup is over 300%.

If you're looking for a local installer, I would not suggest using the Internet. You'll most find ads for large, national players and DIY suppliers.

If you want a system that can do home automation as well as security, ask the dealer if he works with ELK Products' M1 Gold system or Napco's Gemini P9600. These are both competent alarms with varying HA capabilities as well. The ELK system is one of the best HA / security controllers in the residential market.

The Napco P9600 is a very flexible security controller that can interface with HA systems and can also control X10 and hard-wired devices directly. I sell these systems to DIYers and you can get information on them from my website. Although you're not interested in DIY, feel free to browse my website or contact me if you need help. I'll be happy to review proposals you receive and offer advice even if you're having the system installed professionally.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I'd steer clear of either.

Nice rcommendation. too bad it's not UL listed. I'm sure his insurance company would like him to put an electric device in his house that is non UL, that way they wouldn't have to pay off due to loss if it was involved.

Discuss your security with an ex con you met on the internet. Another good recommendation. ;) and with a BBB report like this.

formatting link

Reply to
Chub

Mr. BAss forgot to tell you he was a convicted felon, killed a person, has tons of complaints against his business with the Better Business Bureau, and operates from Brazil.....

Be safe...look to one of the other professionals on this group...Not bassburglaralarms.com.

Norm Mugford

I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?

formatting link

Reply to
Norm Mugford

"Ademco" panels ARE modern, and the keyfobs are no bigger than the rest with the exception of the new DSC units

Someone has to install it

X-10 security is junk, always has been

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Hey Steve,

I read your post and think you should check out the Protector Plus at

formatting link
Our system has a lot of the things you seem to be looking for. Our remote controls are easy to use, and the system comes with a keychain keypad for taking with you. There are no codes to remember just press arm and disarm accordingly. We have a door chime mode for people coming and going, so it alerts you without a siren. You can expand it to cover all of your door and windows as you see fit. People say x10 is not any good, but our offer is that you try it for 30 days -- if you don't like it send it back...just like that.

Good Luck on your search...!

x10security team

Reply to
X10SecuritySystems.com

You still did not tell us why ELK products removed BassBurglarAlarms from their retail dealer list.

formatting link

Reply to
Hugeass

You really don't read well do you?? Maybe your "Hugeass" gets in the way... :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Ahh X10, the first web page to use popunders...

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Thanks, everyone, for your input!

I had browsed the newsgroup for about a half-hour before posting, so I'm aware of the low regard in which you hold one particular dealer. But I will say, in his defense, that he responded professionally and was one of the few to give me actual recommendations (as opposed to anti-product and anti-person anti-recommendations) and I appreciate that help. As a newbie with a random question, I'm certainly not owed anything by this group, but it was nice to get some advice and product numbers that I could follow up on.

UL listing was something I hadn't thought to check, so I'll keep that in mind... I'm not particularly interested in doing DIY for a project with this kind of importance, so I'm hoping that when I find a good local installer he'll be able to help me sort through the tricky details. But now I'm aware of at least one gotcha, thanks!

Regarding "someone having to install" at a 200%+ markup - like anyone else who's had a business, I understand the need to charge money for services. I'm happy to pay for installation of complex parts and hide-away wiring work. But specifically, I was talking about $95 keyfobs. When someone so obviously overcharges for a small part (a few of which came included with my $200 car alarm, for instance), it makes you feel like the rest of their deal must be a rip-off as well.

Thanks again, everyone; I hope I'll eventually be able to track down the "ipod" of alarm systems ;) (functional with well-designed UI) Steve

Reply to
steveeisner

X10 is a nice toy to use to turn on and off lights. The probabllity of it not working is about 20 percent. If you'd like to take the chance with your worldly goods or your life with those probabilities .......... you're dumber than you sound. If your as knowledgeable about X10 as you pretend to be, why don't you tell people about phase couplers and filters that are necessary to be installed by qualified electricians for a few hundred dollars, in order for X10 signals to become only just a little more reliable?

X10 is garbage. It's been around for over 20 years without one iota of change in it's design. If it was even a contender in the security industry, it would have proven it self long before now. If it was even a little aggressive, it would have locked up it's original invention and protocol years ago, instead of letting it's patent run out. Since then, even the least of it's competitors has improved upon the technology 100 fold in a few years and X10 is still using the same old garbage from decades ago.

Stop trying to promote this rubbish as something other than a toy.

Reply to
Jim

The hiss of a snake is never as deadly as the bite.

Don't be misled. It's all part of the scam to make people think that he's not a crook.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.