Addressable Smoke Head Protocol

Hi all:

Anyone have any details on the protocol used by Honeywell Notifier Addressable smoke heads. I have a large facility (approx. 700 heads) and I remove and clean heads when I get a "Maintenance Required" message. However I'd like to know how clean I've got them before I place them back into service. Thinking of building a tester using a microcontroller, of course if there's already a device for this application, that'd work to...just not as much fun.

Thanks in advance

Will

Reply to
will.lynelle
Loading thread data ...

What control panel do you have?? Depending on the head end equipment, you should be able to call up the sensitivity and status of each of the detector's sensing elements.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Frank:

I have a Notifier 640, and while you are correct, I can view information on the status of each head once installed, the facility I operate is a maximum security jail. Installing heads is quite time consuming. If there was a way I could realize say 20% better cleaning it would save great deal of time by yeilding longer service intervals.

Thanks for your interest and assistance.

Will

Reply to
will.lynelle

Will,

There used to be a tester that would work on Notifier and other System Sensor addressable devices called a Mod 400. The older detectors had a socket for this tester and it connected to a DMM and let you read the sensitivity directly. Unfortunately the newer style heads no longer have this feature so even if you could get a Mod 400 it would be useless. Also the head in question had to be operating when tested. I am assuming you have FSP-751 or FSP-851 smokes.

My suggestions is to purchase a 640 panel and about 20 extra heads and bases and hang them on the wall in your shop. When a smoke shows dirty, replace it with a new unit and clean the old smoke and plug it into the shop 640 panel. You can use the panel to read the sensitivity. A technician using Verifire Tools can also connect directly to the panel through the programming port or network and query the sensitivity of any addressable sensor. There is also a web based interface that allows you to do the same thing with a browser if you have a Notifier network. I think the chances of Notifier letting you have their protocol are exactly zero. I know System Sensor provides their protocol to OEM manufacturers but the Notifier protocol has always been different, especially on a Flashscan capable panel like the 640.

Mike

Reply to
MikeyB

Mike:

Thanks for the response. I figured I was SOL as far as a standalone tester went, just hoped someone knew something about the protocol. I am using FSP851 heads, I really don't want to purchase another 640 panel, doubt the higher ups will go for it. I guess I'll hook one up to my O'scope and see what it's doing.

Thanks again.

Will

Reply to
will.lynelle

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.