Instructions for old phone

Hi,

I have acquired an old Northern Telecom phone, but I have no instructions. The phone has no model number, but has "Rd.1982 Rd.1983 Rd.1985" on the base. Also on the base is stamped in ink "BEL541" (the '5' is a guess). On the top are a programming button (which you access by removing a clear plastic piece) and eight buttons. Below this is the regular touchtone keypad, and three red LEDs; the left LED lights up when you lift the handset. Under the handset is a three way slider with "O" on the left and "III" on the right. It is not cordless.

Amazingly, somebody described this exact phone on this newsgroup in 1999, look:

formatting link
(handset+OR+phone+OR+telephone)&rnum=2&hl=en#5855577b1b2299b2This thread told me how to program the speed dial buttons.

What I now need to know is: o Which of the eight buttons are Flash and Redial. o What does the O - III slider do. o What do the three red LEDs indicate.

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Reply to
Martin Leese
Loading thread data ...

I have worked out (almost) everything by trial and error, so can answer my own questions. I thought I would do this so that they would be in Google Groups for others.

formatting link
(handset+OR+phone+OR+telephone)&rnum=2&hl=en#5855577b1b2299b2

The sequence is:

1. Lift receiver.
  2. Press program button. (Right-hand red LED lights.)
  3. Press store button.
  4. Enter number on touchtone keypad.
  5. Replace receiver.

Redial is bottom left. Flash is bottom right.

Adjusts the volume of the ringer.

Left indicates you are connected to a line. Right indicates you are storing a number. Middle; don't know.

God, I'm wonderful.

Reply to
Martin Leese

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.