Accessing Bcm50 through Bsr222 Question

My objective is to manage our bcm50 remotely over the internet.

We have 5 static IP addresses, 1 dynamic, cable modem, bsr222, bcm50

If I plug the bcm directly into the cable modem, I can access it with both the web interface and element manager from the internet or LAN. No problem there.

However, I want to have it behind the bsr222.

I have set the bsr settings (static ip, firewall, remote mgmt) so that I can access the Bsr222 remotely from the internet and from the LAN (192.168.1.1).

I just can't connect to the bcm through the bsr to save my life! I have the bcm's static ip gateway set to the bsr's ip address. I have tried just about everything in between. (static routes, firewall settings, etc)

It doesn't make sense that I can access the bcm fine when I plug into the modem and aim the gateway at the modems but can't get to it when I do the same with the Bsr!

I have read alot of information from nortel website and we are a nortel partner. I've gotten a lot of useful information from this group and am greatful.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
g
Loading thread data ...

I'm assuming the bsr222 is some kind of NAT router given that you mentioned it's LAN IP address is 192.168.1.1. NAT doesn't by default allow outside/Internet hosts to access servers on the inside/LAN. You need to set up the bsr222 to forward specific port numbers for web and element manager OR map a specific static IP address on the Internet side to the 192.168.1.x IP address of the BCM OR perhaps put the BCM in the "DMZ" if the bsr222 supports such a concept. How to do this I do not know since every router is different. Look in the bsr222 manual.

Reply to
Charles R. Anderson

This may be helpful:

formatting link
Look at the Network Address Translation doc.

Reply to
Charles R. Anderson

You're going about this with the wrong methodology. The BSR-222 is capable of terminating client VPN tunnels, so what you need to do is configure yourself a user on the BSR wth the appropriate permissions so that you can use the Nortel VPN client to connect to it and then you'll be good to go -- you'll be able to administer the BCM via its internal IP address. It is possible to configure the firewall to allow you to manage it remotely (like you've been trying to do), because I've done it. There's a trick to it, but it's not the right way to do things. You'll be infinitely more secure if you do it via a VPN tunnel -- your nights will be more restful, knowing that some e-knucklehead isn't banging on the door of your router all night long.

Jeff

Reply to
ComNews

Thats exactly what conclusion I came to. After studying the hell out of it and trying all sorts of things, I knew VPN was the way to go. I haven't had a chance to set it up because I had been extremely busy but thats what I'm going to do.

Thank you very much ComNews for your input. I needed to hear from someone with experience!

Reply to
Dogg

ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Ivan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.