Receiver Recommendation

My Previous setup was:

Kenwood KRF-V7773D Receiver Bose Accoustimass 15 (5 duel cube sets + sub) SW-505D Subwoofer

The sound was outstanding, loud and clear. My Kenwood receiver started lose sound--one moment it worked just fine, others-no sound at all. So I replaced it with a Yamaha HTR-5850. Whooaa--big mistake! Getting the volumes I was use to was gone and the sound--wow big difference. I lost so much sound detail that I only put about 2 hours of use in to the newer receiver and have since not watched any movies through the system. I thought going with Yamaha, I would improve sound but that will teach me to go low-end ($399) Yamaha when I had a medium to high end ($799) Kenwood.

I need some serious recommendations for another receiver to fill a converted

2-car garage movie room with outstanding sound detail. I was think Harmon Kardon but have had no experience with them.

I use to think Bose speakers were the shiznitz but I've read many posts about how they're crap. I must be missing even greater sound. Please recommend good speakers, as well.

If anyone tries to Google the Kenwood KRF-V7773D receiver, you aren't going to find a whole lot. This was a limited US version (I have) that can be found more in Europe. This makes getting mine repaired almost impossible. Kenwood won't touch it--they want it to go to an authorized service center who've said they can't get parts.

formatting link

Reply to
Lane
Loading thread data ...

I have a Denon 7.1 receiver that I bought about a year ago. I forget the model number, but it listed for $650 at the time.

I'm in a converted one-car garage (but the builder did the conversion when building the house), and it works very well. I'm using NHT sub zero speakers, an NHT super center, and an NHT woofer in a 5.1 configuration, and the sound is very good with this setup.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Denon AVR-2106 Any opinions on this one? Clean, full sound and powerful enough to fill

2-car garage size room?
Reply to
Lane

I just got a denon AVR-686 receiever (7.1) it's great. powers my athena speakers perfectly. (athena point 5 surrounds, B1.2's for fronts and C1.2 center channel) also has an auto calibration microphone thats included so setup is a snap. do a froogle search for it. I found mine for under 300 bucks shipped (refurb). it has 3 component inputs and a component output, 2 digital coax in's for audio as well as 2 fiber optic ins for audio. in the price range it was the only receiver I found with all these features (3 component inputs, 3 or more digital audio in's and auto calibration.)

-Nick

Reply to
Dr Nick

Yes, that's it. Based on the volume in my room, it should have no problem with a two-car garage size room.

The dealer (Showcase--a division of Tweeter) told me that it's the lowest-price Denon with the better video circuitry for passing S-Video or composite video to its component video outputs--lower priced models have different electronics that don't do the job as well, if at all.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Hi, Compare the weight of both; KW and Yamaha. Which is heavier? Now you know. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, That auto calibration will give you ball park set up. Really you have to tweak each speaker manually for even better result.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I just snagged a Harman Kardon AVR-335. I read that although the wattage is lower than most, it handles it differently and acts like a receiver of much more watts. And sounds beautifully, too.

As soon as it arrives, I'll see if it's any better.

Reply to
Lane

I'm in the market for a medium-end receiver myself and have, as of now, decided on the Denon AVR-2807. It won an award at the recent CES show in Las Vegas, has the HDMI switching support I want, and is due to begin shipping in March.

formatting link

Reply to
lanman

That Denon lists for $1100 - not exactly cheap.

If that's in the price range, I'd take a look at Outlaw gear. Their

970/1070 combo should be stellar. You might also look into NAD. Truly great sound. Tends to be pricy if you base it on bells and whistles. But for sound they are tough to beat.
Reply to
yustr

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.