Opin ions please - DLP or LCD?

I will be doing a lot of gaming so plasma is out. I just wonder if anyone that actually has a DLP or LCD set would care to comment on their experiences? Thanks.

Reply to
RKRM
Loading thread data ...

I've used a DLP front projector and it's great. I haven't used a DLP regular TV or an LCD tv, but from what Ive read DLP has better black levels, and higher performance, but are more expensive, and tend to be bigger and heavier. LCDs have come a long way in the black level dept rivling DLP's, but typically can't go as high of a resolution as DLP's one draw back to DLP's is some people see the "rainbow effect" which is due to teh color wheel inside that mkaes the colors off the DLP chip (although in newer TV's they use faster color wheels, and some even use individual chips for all 3 colors) I'd say go watch a bunch of TV's at best buy, circuit city or whereever and see if you any draw backs (rainbow effect on DLP, or black levels on LCD)

also a side note, plasma burn in is SORT OF a myth. it won't really happen in games unless you pause the tv for long periods of time or leave a game on with say a life meter or map in the same spot for 10's of hours. plasmas are most suspetable to burn in during teh first 50 hours of use, and a lot fo TV's ahve burn in protection such as screen savors to stop that from happenning. do a little digging on google and then go watch a bunch of TV's.

-N

Reply to
Dr Nick

Reply I got to spend a few hours with my brother in laws new dlp tv. He was getting programing over a comcast cable setup. Whenever the picture showed large white or solid collors that area seemed to shimmer. The effect was much like the video noise in laser disk players. The effect was bad enough that I will no longer consider a dlp set. The more I see them the more I don't like the picture. I have been watching a lcd projector for 11 years so maybe I'm spoiled. Leaky

Reply to
leaky

leaky maybe seeing the infamous rainbow effect of the DLP color wheel. Some people see it, some do not. I'm one who does not. I have a 46 Samsung and the picture is fantastic. Also, newer DLP sets may have done away with the color wheel altogether. Don't write them off. Go to a good store (one that will let you watch in comfort and for as long as you wish) and watch some sets. Pick the one that looks best to you.

You might also consider the LCoS sets from JVC. I nearly bought one of those. Very good and bright picture. But the Samsung was $2000 less and had the VGA input I wanted for my PC.

Reply to
yustr

Reply How do you do away with the color wheel?? The only alternative I know is to use 3 dlp chips. This seems to put the price tag up in the 10,000 to 30,000 dollar range. I think for the long range cost to view, you will be much better off with Lcos or lcd. I want at least 20,000 hours out of a tv and that color wheel just isn't going to make it. My lcd projector however is in its 11 th year running 12 to 14 hours a day. Don't know it the effect I saw was rainbow effect or not but I'd sure hate to invite someone to watch the superbowl and have him complain about the rainbows. Also since the rainbow effect may someday appear to you or one of your family is it worth the risk? If dlp was as great as TI advertizes they wouldn't have to advertize it. Also they wouldn't have to lie about their 1080p chip which only has half the mirrors. Leaky

Reply to
leaky

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.