Will this work for dimming 12V Halogen?

My existing transformer/cabinet halogen 12VAC lights simply flicker and shut off when I try to dim them with my 20 year old x-10 lamp module and 'mini controller'. Even though the transformer says "dimmable" on it, maybe it's time for an upgrade.

The new transformer engineer I talked to today said that his high- quality dimmable transformer will work, as long as I use a high- quality dimmer.

The tech at the home automation place said that his high-quality Insteon dimmer will work, as long as I use a high-quality transformer.

Here are the two products I'm talking about:

formatting link
formatting link
Before I spend over $100 on this one circuit, do you think this combination will work? Anyone have any similar experience/success that they can share?

I can't switch to 120VAC lighting due to in-situ wiring constraints. Need to stick with low voltage.

Thanks, Randy

Reply to
Randy "Brick" MacKenna
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

As long as you use a magnetic transformer any X10 dimmer should be fine. I have this setup in my home and have no problems.

Reply to
bruceR

Absolutely NOT!

By deffinition any transformer is magnetic. "A transformer is a device that transfers electrical energy from one circuit to another through inductively coupled wires. A changing current in the first circuit (the primary) creates a changing magnetic field; in turn, this magnetic field induces a changing voltage in the second circuit (the secondary). "

formatting link
There are a LOT of X10 dimmers out there that ARE NOT rated for inductive loads.

Solid state dimmers operate by turning the power off for part of the power cycle. Inductive loads create large spikes if this is not done exactly at the right time. The dimmer needs to be designed to absorb those spikes without self destructing or overheating.

Reply to
B Fuhrmann

I suspect the "high quality" comments by the sales people is BS for "I have no clue but we can always blame it on the other guy's lack of quality". As soon as you mentioned transformer and dimmer, inductive should have been the top thing on any competent person's mind. If they didn't say that, stay as far as you can from the idiots.

Any transformer is dimmable by the right method equipment. All transformers are inductive loads.

No where on the insteon dimmer page do I see any indication that it is designed to work with an inductive load. If you look at it's instruction manual at

formatting link
you will find a warning NOT to use it with transformers on page 5.

They do make inductive dimmers,

formatting link
is discontinued but you will notice that is specifically marked for inductive loads. You will just have to find a non brain dead salesman who can understand the difference and find the right one.

- Bill Fuhrmann

formatting link

Reply to
B Fuhrmann

What I meant by magnetic is non-switching.

Reply to
bruceR

"bruceR" wrote ...

Then your statement at the top is still wrong.

Anything using a non-transformer power supply (doesn't matter if it is switching or analog) cannot be dimmed prior to the supply.

Anything using a transformer should only be dimmed with a dimmer that is rated for use with inductive loads.

Reply to
B Fuhrmann

you will find a warning NOT to use it

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@s12g2000prg.googlegroups.com...

Thanks...makes sense. I actually trust the guy from the transformer place; I talked to the product engineer there -- not a sales guy. The fellow from Smarthome, however, was a 'live chat' salesperson.

Now the trick for me will be to find an x10 or Insteon inductive dimmer that also fits into an existing legacy switchplate. I don't have room for a Decora style footprint (unless I redo the entire gang in that box).

At least I know what I need now, thank you.

-Randy

Reply to
Randy "Brick" MacKenna

you will find a warning NOT to use it

I also found this:

formatting link
I can put it right inside the cabinetry, and control via x10. Cool!

-Randy

Reply to
Randy "Brick" MacKenna

atwww.smarthome.com/manuals/2466d.pdf, you will find a warning NOT to use it

Whoops...I just read again...it doesn't respond to 'dim'. Sigh...so close...

Reply to
Randy "Brick" MacKenna

Leviton green line X-10 dimmers are rated for incandescent and magnetic low-voltage loads:

formatting link

I think some of the PCS and Lightolier dimmers can also handle magnetic low-voltage loads.

The "footprint" in the box is about the same for decora and toggle style devices. The only difference is the wall plate. All X-10 capable products from Leviton, Smarthome, PCS and Lightolier are about the same size behind the wall plate.

If you don't have room for the X-10 device in the wall box you could relocate it to the transformer location.

Reply to
Lewis Gardner

I had the same problem after fitting halogen spots across my whole house. I tried all different dimmers from the high street shops and nothing worked but the following touch IR dimmer. It worked perfectly. Now I have these across my whole house.

formatting link

Reply to
hanynapoleon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.