TW523 no longer transmitting. Repairable? Any compatibility with CM11A?

I have a homebrew home control system that interfaces with a TW523 to the powerline for signals. Commands are sent to it using X10 controllers and it sends commands to devices (but not anymore).

I have an HD11A, which I believe is the same as the CM11A. I don't expect it to work, but wonder if there is any chance that it can "emulate" a TW523.

Or, has anyone every repaired a TW523 failure to send X10 signals over the powerline. The failing unit's LED still flashes as the signals are sent, but no signals are received by the devices it is trying to control. Advise as to how to repair this could save me some time.

The Tw523 still receives X10 signals fine, and properly relays them on to the processor in the control system.

Reply to
Bob F
Loading thread data ...

I have one which seemed to similarly stop working. It could still receive. I moved it so it connects to the supply right near the consumer unit (panel), and it seems to be working again OK. Don't know if it was due reduction in transmit power, or if some new appliance is attenuating it much more than it used to, but it now has a shorter mains signalling path to most of the X10 switches. The TTL signal connection to the device is now some 15m (50') over a chunky screened cable (used to be an RS232 VDU connection cable), but still seems to work OK.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

If the LED flashes, odds are it is still sending but some new device is attenuating or interfering with the signal.

Try moving it to another location. If it starts working, try to find the device that's causing problems.

The HD11A will not emulate the TW523. It uses RS232 and has a totally different > I have a homebrew home control system that interfaces with a TW523 to the

Reply to
dlh

A quick Google for 'tw523 two-way x10 controller' found over 15K results

formatting link
indicated they are still available for $29.99 (US)

Rich W.

Bob F wrote:

Reply to
Rich Wonneberger

Maybe a small memory leak eventually robbed the device of all available working memory. I've had IP cameras like that which had to be reset every few weeks just because of that. But then a later firmware update fixed it.

Reply to
Rover

I have had memory leaks that completely ruined my CPU! Bits got out, jammed up the fan bearings, and then eventually shorted out a few of the data lines causing it to overheat, simultaneously shutting down the cooling algorithm. The thing went up on fire and spread to the whole block. My insurance wouldn't cover the damages and now I post from prison. I don't touch mega anything, anymore. It's all 1KB at a time for me. The glass containers for the memory chips are helping somewhat.

---------

Maybe a small memory leak eventually robbed the device of all available working memory. I've had IP cameras like that which had to be reset every few weeks just because of that. But then a later firmware update fixed it.

Reply to
Josepi

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.