seeking intelligent folder structure

I tend to create a folder structure on the PC's that are networket @ home. Then, I like to use a SyncToy to manage the contents.

Here's a question: I want to use/write/steal some software that will _generate_ a number of different folder structures, grading them with a quotation.

This is what I'm after:

root1 --- dev --- doc --- html ---- proja + + +-- projb + +- msword -- proja + +- projb + +- excel --- proja + +- projb +- src +-- vb ------ proja + +-- projb +- vc++ ---- proja + +-- projb +- java ---- proja +-- projb

root2 --- doc --- proja --- src + +--- vb + +--- vc++ + +--- java + +-- doc + +-- html + +-- msword + +-- excel +- projb --- src +--- vb +--- vc++ +--- java +-- doc +-- html +-- msword +-- excel

Rather than actually create the folders, and populating them using a _pool_of_files_ I think I need a __view__ object that discreetly hides the technical layout of the file system.

What can I use to make headway into the design of the UI of these "view_folders"? Spare me the wild 3d stuff for now.

One practical use of such _view_folders_ would be something I now create by hand:

winxp --- settings --- Computer Mgt --- Svc and Apps --- Svcs +- Dvc Mgr -------- PC1 --- Comp +- Disk Dr +- Disp Ad +..... etc

here, leaf folder Svcs contains several files (with naming convention):

[mm-dd-yyy hhmm abbrev] . [htm] [mm-dd-yyy hhmm abbrev] . [mht] [mm-dd-yyy hhmm ] . [txt] [mm-dd-yyy hhmm abbrev] . [xml] [mm-dd-yyy hhmm ] . [xml]

leaf folders Comp, Disk Dr, Disp Ad, etc.. don't contain anything yet. It's clear that mapping this MS Management Console output will be a _real_ pain in the neck for me. If I had the courage to move ahead with it. I tend to fill the folder structure on a need-to-know basis.

Your thoughts much appreciated!

stefaan dot meeuws at gmail dot com

[05-20-2006 2300]
Reply to
Stefaan Meeuws
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.