Sage TV and HA?

Is anyone using Sage TV with some form of HA or A/V distribution? I'd love to hear from anyone with that setup. Especially if you're doing it with COS. Does anyone know if Sage supports something equavilant to the Tivo dual tuner (ie, record two programs at the same time on different channels?)

Thanks! csh

Reply to
Chris Hackett
Loading thread data ...

Most of the PVR proggies like Sage support multiple TV capture cards and can record from multiple sources. Each of these programs has their strengths and weaknesses.

GB-PVR has excellent support for the Hauppauge MVP which sends TV out over your home network in either wireless 802.11g or wired 10BT - I am still waiting for a Home Automation plug-in. It is a free application (by donation). Works well on lower power machines.

Media Portal does have some support for Homeseer Home Automation but the HA interface is awkward and requires the use of Girder as well. This one is open source and free as well. Seems to want a hotrod PC to work well. Keep your eye on this as it has a lot of potential and the interface is very pretty.

Sage likely has the best support as it is one of the most popular PVR progs out there. $$ I think there is a Sage plugin for Homeseer Home Automation.

Snapstream is a nice PVR but you have to also buy Beyond Media to get the plug-in module and I am not sure if there are HA interfaces for it or not. No HA plugins that I know of. $$$

Windows Media Center PC (MCE) - I think there is a plug-ins for Homeseer for MCE, supports at least 2 cards and has media center extenders that can distribute over your house. Very $$$$. Nice interface.

The killer feature I'd like to see in a PVRs is being able to browse the web on the TV. This would allow access to the HA program through a web interface. This is no small feat since native TV resolution is very low and interlaced.

Reply to
echo

You mean like MythTV

formatting link
which has MythBrowser
formatting link
people have even installed Firefox on their MythTV machine(s), but I haven't tested this myself.

MythWeb

formatting link
is another thing

- a web interface to control your MythTV.

If you want a "one CD solution", there is KnoppMyth

formatting link
which is what I'm using.

HTH

Reply to
Torfinn Ingolfsen

I could never get that to run right. The video was slow and jerky with my Haupagguge PVR250. I didn't think it was hardware related because Snapstream and Win TV and My Theater works fine.

I found Sage TV and Myth TV to also be problematic, maybe it's because my Linux knowledge is so limited and the hardware was not tweaked correctly.

Reply to
G. Morgan

I'm using a PVR-500 card with KnoppMyth (currently R5 D1) and it works fine. I haven't tried the PVR-250 with KnoppMyth, so I don't know how good that card works with it.

MythTV is definitely a DIY thing; if you don't want to spend some time with it, I wouldn't reccommend it.

Reply to
Torfinn Ingolfsen

I use SageTV in concert with the new CQC IP driver for it. Currently I still need to use the SageTV UI to select a program, but after that i'm set.

I'm hoping that within a few months, there'll be an updgraded SageTV driver that will allow me to ditch the Sage UI, and instead use custom built CQC screens for the whole thing. Check out the site in my sig for current screenshots.

Reply to
IVB

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.