No dailtone on the third floor...

I have a newly renovated home with cat5 cable run throughout (all homeruns). I get a dailtone from at least one of the rj45 jacks in all my coverplates on the first and second floors but no dailtone at any of my rj45 jacks on the third floor. Could anyone tell my why this could be? How do I get a dailtone up there?

I've never done any stripping of telephone cable or wire punching but from my research this seems pretty strait forward with the right tools and if you are not color blind.

And in most of my coverplates I have two rj45 jacks. One is obviously for telephone but what could the other rj45 be used for?

Any suggestions are more than welcome.

KJ

Reply to
Moon1990
Loading thread data ...

Kevin,

Not knowing due to minimal information but as a WAG it could be for a Computer Network, a second phone line, a dummy jack to fill the second hole.

Please describe in detail the "rj45 jacks".

Need more input. Need more input. Need more input. Need more input. Need more input. Need more input. Need more input. Need more input. Need more input. Need more input. Need more input. Need more input. Need more input. Need more input. Need more input. Need more input. Need more input. Need more input. Need more input. Need more input. Need more input. Need more input. Need more input. Need more input.

Have a good holiday weekend.

Les

Reply to
ABLE_1

Is there a wiring closet someplace where all the cables terminate? You may not need to do any rewiring but maybe just install a short jumper in the wiring closet.

The sec>I have a newly renovated home with cat5 cable run throughout (all

Reply to
Dave Houston

Depending on what kind of dialtone you have, perhaps you need more electrical pressure to get it up to the third floor?

Are jacks rated for their altitude? Do you need a RJ55 or RJ65?

Obviously, two jacks are needed when you have a daughter.

We have cat2 running throughout our house at times. Cat1 is too old, and just hisses at cat2.

Sorry - too much solder fumes...

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Volp

Don't daughters now come standard with cellphones? All the pre-teen, teen and post-teen females I see in my neighborhood appear to have one grafted to the side of their head.

Reply to
Dave Houston

Snipped

I guess you are entitled, but be careful, it is addictive!

Reply to
Jim Baber

The latest "trend" is "Bluetooth" headsets. And I'm certain they're "grafted" to the side of the head.

Reply to
Frank Olson

To keep the cell-phone bill less than the mortgage, some have a separate line for home use.

Reply to
Jeff Volp

In the words of Willy Wonka: "You're weird!". :-)

Reply to
Neil Cherry

The second jack could be a number of things or nothing.

You should look behind the plates to find out.

As someone else said, it could be a 2nd line. I did that in some common areas of the house for a friend who had two lines. The top jack was line 1 (her line) and the lower one was line 2 (her roommates),

I have one by my computer where both are the same line. Just avoiding a line splitter there.

If one is not the same size as the other, it is likely to be a computer network.

Reply to
B Fuhrmann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.