My biggest X10 issue ever... Please help...!

Hi everyone!

The craziest thing I have ever seen is going on how, and I truly need some assistance!

For the past several months, everything has been working beautifully. Three housecodes, ActiveHome Pro, etc.

A few hours ago, all hell broke loose!

I am receiving an RF signal of N11 OFF NON-STOP... 5 times each second.

It is blocking every other signal.

I shut down every circuit breaker in the house (minus one power bar I was using to test) I removed the batteries from every cordless phone I use. I put my PocketPCs into Flight Mode. I removed the batteries from every X10 remote/active-eye/etc. sensor.

I am able to replicate on ever transceiver.

As a matter of fact, when I plug in one of those old transceivers (CM11A, I THINK) it keeps on acting up, until I unscrew the antenna. Then it stops.

So it's definitely an RF issue, not generated by any AC powered device in my house.

I am trying to think about any other X10 remotes I own, but I cannot think of any.

I am using ESM1 signal meter to test it. The red bars just don't stop.

I've tried every transceiver, as well as the CM15A... same thing...

Non-stop N11 OFF's being generated. And I don't even use N11.

It's been over an hour now, and I am simply stumped.

Does anyone have any ideas? Dave, are you still around? :)

I hope we can solve this!

Thanks!!

Mike

Reply to
Michael G.
Loading thread data ...

Which three housecodes do you use?

Is "N" an in-use housecode?

You're not likely to be unscrewing an antenna from a CM11A. What's the label say?

What stops? No more N11's flooding the line?

If you use the "N" house code, it sounds very much like a stuck transmitter. Palmpads get wedged under things and keychain remote buttons stick.

I assume these are "GOOD" X-10 signals. If so, put a transceiver like the TM751 set the housecode N with the antenna collapsed and the ESM1 on the end of a 50' extension cable and walk around the house. Search hardest in the area where you see a signal.

But do you use the N house code?

Just an hour? You've got to spend 12 hours to get the X-10 merit badge!

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Hi there.. just to follow up... I went outside my house and plugged in an SR731 repeater behind my house. Sure enough, same problem. The red light stays lit, meaning a constant signal. Darn.

I am thinking of writing a note to my neighbors... Can someone tell me what frequency X10 uses? I would like to write as explicit a note as possible.

I think I will go for a drive in my car. I have an inverter in there. I can bring along the tester and a transceiver set to N, and I'll see if it's the whole neighbourhood.. one side of my house, etc.

I am so annoyed.....!

I look forward to any words of wisdom!

Reply to
Michael G.

It could be an RF remote that a neighbor has that's stuck but the range is usually pretty limited. Let us know what you find out. This is very curious.

Reply to
BruceR

Hi guys!

Thanks for the prompt replies!

Just a few clarifications...!

1 - Of the transceivers I used to test, the TM751 was the one from which I removed the antenna. Funny thing was that aside from the basement, anywhere I went in the house (and yes, even outside), I kept receiving the signal.

2 - I do use Housecode N. I will keep looking for other remotes or transmitters.

3 - I seem to have lost my inveterter, so I cannot drive around, doing my tests.

4 - With the ESM1 signal meter, depending on how far it is from my test receiver, I can easily get Green dots. (Interestingly enough, when I am testing it, it's right near my transceiver, so those red bars are off the chart! (As an aside, I have a signal bridge /amplifer attached to my dryer's 220V... So, it was interesting how the bars diminished when I turned off that circuit breaker... (just an FYI.. not related to the issue).

5 - I am using a V572A +PSC05 whole house transciever, as well as the CM15A. (Which of course, I unplugged for the tests). If these were the "old days", I need only plug in three old transceivers, on three NON-"N" housecodes, and I'd be fine. However, now it's impossible, since the V572A picks up every code, as does the CM15A.

6 - I must say, this must be a POWERFUL signal. I say that because not only am I picking it up my backyard (outdoor plug), but to top it off, I don't even have an antenna on my CM15A! I merely have a BNC connector flopping down (as I tried the eggbeater antenna mod last year). So, for something to hit my Smart repeater while I am across my backyard AND for it to ALSO hit a CM15A in my BASEMENT with no antenna... We must be dealing with one crazy signal. The usual slimline remotes and keychain remotes have pretty horrendous ranges, and I usually have to hold them under my chin to get them to work all over the house.

So yes, Robert, it happens in every room, and even in the backyard. I will search for more remotes and remove those batteries, too. I will also make sure all ActiveEyes also have their batteries removed, too. (Although, those never reach the backyard)

I may drive to my father's house to borrow his inverter. I really want to drive up and down the street and see where it stops/starts. Of all days to lose my inverter! :)

Keep the posts coming! Too weird!

Thanks again!

Reply to
Michael G.

Hi again!

Well, the problem seemed to have resolved itself... Just like that.

I never had a chance to go for a drive with that inverter and the Transceiver in my car.

I hope this never, ever happens again.

Now I have to put back the batteries (and reprogram!) all my 3 dozen remotes and sensors... ARGH!

I am glad it resolved itself. I never saw anything like it in 15+ years of X10 use.......

Thanks!

Reply to
Michael G.

Sounds like a button became unstuck or the batteries powering the offending device finally died.

Reply to
BruceR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.