KR19A X-10 Remote gone flakey

Has anyone had any luck repairing these? I must confess, I am not even sure how the buttons work. There seem to be rubber plungers that press against some odd looking traces on the circuit board. It's no kind of PCB switch I've ever seen, but then again, there's lots I haven't seen.

Symptoms were intermittent firing and a dim LED. At first I thought it was a dead battery, but the voltage checked out pretty high (3.3V) so I switched batteries (to one reading 3.5 or so, fresh out of the blister pack) and the X-mit LED brightened, but behavior was still intermittent. This is a unit that gets a lot of abuse, so its time may have come anyway, but I was curious if anyone had some magical renewal tricks. I've cleaned the surface of the PCB with alcohol, but nothing much has changed. Compared to the spare unit, this one still is dim and only activates the controlled unit 1 out of every 4 presses or so.

Thanks,

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green
Loading thread data ...

They're rubber buttons with a carbon-like conductor painted on them, right? The conductor on them wears out after a time. I'd have to imagine someone makes aftermarket material that could be applied to them, much like TV remotes.

Reply to
wkearney99

It might not be worth trying to repair them when they only cost $6.49.

Martin

formatting link

Reply to
AutomatedOutlet.com

That's what it looks like. Glad I didn't clean the buttons. Cleaning what look to be carbon traces on the circuit board seems to have helped somewhat. I wonder if the conductive silver paint for circuit boards would work.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.