Improving Tranceiver Reception...

Hi guys (and David!)

Me again.

So, things have been working great X-10 wise. My filters have blocked out the random codes, and so far, I have not had one light go on by itself in about three weeks. Excellent.

I was curious about one thing, though.

As you may remember, I gave up on using the CM15A antenna, and use it only to generate macros.

So, I am back to using three separate, cheap, X10 transceivers on the main level of my home.

90% of my remotes trigger the units, but not always. Of course, the slimline ones are always a pain.

Here's my question:

At a local electronics store, I purchased (for $2.00) a slightly larger telescoping antenna. I think that makes a bit of a difference. I wonder, however, if there are different frequencies of these telescoping antennas. Is it possible that I have degraded the reception?

Also, I wouldn't mind aiming for even better reception.

Therefore, I was thinking of wrapping a wire onto the antenna, and just let it hang behind my sofa.

Could this hurt, or is more wire always better?

Is there a special wire I should use? I still have lots of left over RG6U (I believe) from my eggbeater attempt. I also have an old FM antenna (two fine strands of copper wrapped in plastic)... would that help if I wrapped it around the current antenna?

I'm just looking for a small boost, but of course, I don't want to cause problems.

Thanks!

Mike

Reply to
Michael G.
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Dave Houston

Buy a WGL transceiver and save yourself alot of trouble.

Reply to
Brian

Hi guys,

Yes, I think I will take your advice.

I just checked out the WGL site, and based on the customer feedback that I see, I believe the time has come for me to invest the hundred or so dollars and purchase a whole house antenna solution.

I just have to figure out if I need the one with a PowerLine interface, or without. I assume I need the one with.

I'll educate myself, and come back with any questions!

(It sure will be nice to get those three ugly transceivers out of my living room!)

Mike

Reply to
Michael G.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.