Help for the Cat shelter

I am looking for an inexpensive solution to controlling the output of 1500 Watt oil filled heaters in six 400 sq. ft. outbuildings. Each of these buildings provides shelter for 50 to 100 domestic cats that this no kill animal shelter supports. The intent is to maintain each building's temperatures at a minimum of 45 to 50 degrees. (cats do have fur coats!)

These heaters are relatively new (6 months), but, their controls are of the hi - med - low type and a thermostatic control is needed since the cats themselves can generate a significant amount of heat in a building that size. I can see a regular thermostat used to energize an x10 appliance switch with a relay. But I am looking for a good solution for less than $100 each, because this tax exempt operation does really need the help.

The shelter's Feb. 2005 power bill was $683 (4,517 kWh) and the Feb.

2006 bill was $2,600 (8,014 kWh). This in was in spite of 500 kWh of new solar PV. The big problem was PG&E's "11% AVERAGE" rate increase (Jan. 1) was primarily at the expense of heavy users. This was because of the structure of PG&E's surcharges on heavy users. You can tell how badly it affected The Cathouse On The Kings shelter, because, the effective rate went up from $0.15120 to $0.32443, and that is more than a 100% increase for each kilowatt used. OUCH!!!
Reply to
Jim Baber
Loading thread data ...

There are a few kits available designed for controlling toaster ovens, turning them into programmable reflow ovens for soldering of surface mount components. They use triacs to control a resistive heating element. I would think they could be modified for this task as the wattage is about the same although the tempertures are much higher in the small, convection ovens. The price is within your budget.

formatting link
If you post to their forums asking for help controlling the temperature in a cathouse I'm sure Nathan will offer suggestions.

Reply to
Dave Houston

Here's another but it's more money and less amenable to modification.

formatting link

Reply to
Dave Houston

Probably not what you want to hear but most forced air electric space heaters come with thermostats built in and distribute the heat better than oil-filled because at least some of it spends its time on the ground rather than just floating up to the top of the room.

Are the cats in cages or do they run freely about the structures? If the latter, you'd have to "cage" any sort of heating mechanism to prevent the cats from chewing on them. I'd feel much better, in the long run, using equipment with built-in thermostats rather than add-on because if anything goes wrong with the add-on technology, you'll foot the blame.

I'm also betting that those outbuildings could stand more insulation to prevent heat dollars from radiating into space.

-- Bobby G.

"

formatting link
">

>
Reply to
Robert Green

Hi Jim,

If you can use some of my Winland thermostats let me know how many you need. They're yours at my cost. I'll take care of the shipping as well.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Large heated platforms made from 4x8 plywood and foam insulation could be made for the cats to lay on. Warm air/water could be circulated under the platform to keep it warm for the cats to lay on. Would make an interesting project for grade school science class projects or competetion to design one costing less than $50 in parts.

Reply to
Si Ballenger

I did a google search:

formatting link
first hit (Disclaimer: I know nothing about this company):
formatting link
a couple that look like they might do what you need.

I'm sure other hits will work as well, but the greenhouse community seems to be a good place for cheap/ready made solutions.

The idea of making a platform/box to catch some of the air seems to have merit. 50-100 cats on a 4x8 piece of plywood sounds like a real fun time. ;)

You will find that the cats eat more in the colder weather, since they are burning calories to stay warm. We've been keeping the house in the

50s this winter (we *really* need to insulate) and the cats are much more anxious at dinner time. ;) Maybe you can get the local butcher to donate fat trimmings to boost the caloric intake. (insert debate on the value of raw foods for pets vrs killing potential parasites by rendering the fat here)

good luck.

Reply to
Philip Lewis

so what you are saying, is that cats provide heat, self-regulated according to environmental conditions...

Nice! No thermostat needed!

sdb

Reply to
sylvan butler

heh... yup... and you and every other "warm blooded" mammal on the planet. But that doesn't mean that the cats cannot get hypothermia, just like you, and every other mammal on the planet. (did i get my double negatives right? :)

Some folks say (perhaps jokingly) that drinking cold beverages will burn more calories for the same reason.

It's the new freezing cold diet... yes, just lower the temperature of your enviroment and *feel* those calories burning away. ;)

Reply to
Philip Lewis

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.