HAI software

There are two versions of the HAI software, User and installer. I can not find any where to download the demo version of the installer version. Can anyone help.

HAI's end-user support, or rather lack there of, is really souring me on their product. I am comparing the ELK and HAI systems, and have had excellent communications with ELK. The poor accessibility of the ELK software to blind computer users is the only reason I am still considering HAI. Their user software is very accessible, but you can't assume that the installer version that I would need would also be.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks Dennis

Reply to
Dennis
Loading thread data ...

Are you saying that the software is difficult for blind users to obtain or that it is difficult to use? If you just need access to the software let me know and I will get you a free copy.

If it's an issue of usability for blind persons, perhaps we should discuss the matter with ELK. They're pretty good about accommodating requests from end users and dealers. Changing the software would be a major endeavor, but perhaps there's a way to create a text-only interface to the applications functions. If that's of interest to you, also let me know and I'll find out what can be done. I have a long standing relationship with ELK Products.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

My company has developed software for up/download, control and diagnosis of fire alarm control panels for one of the major manufacturers -- Edwards Signal, now part of GE Security. The code we developed is totally modular and can easily be modified to interface with other types of control panels. As such it would not be difficult for us to write an app for the ELK M1G. Changing the structure of the UI to function within the confines of a Braille PC monitor would be an interesting but highly doable project.

On the assumption that what you want is a blind-accessible version of the ELK software I called ELK and spoke to Brad Weeks in engineering about this. This week Wade Moose and several of the engineers are at the EH Expo show in Orlando I'm not going since I'm in Brazil at the moment but I'll follow through on this when they get back to on Monday.

Let me know if this is a major interest to you. Perhaps we can come up with something useful for a lot of visually impaired users. I've designed physical user interfaces to security systems for blind clients in the past. It's an interesting challenge figuring out ways to make common hardware accessible.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Robert,

No, getting the software was no problem. I sent a note to ELK support indicating the accessibility problem for blind users, and offering to help if they were interested in investigating what the problems are and how they could be resolved. In most cases these types of application accessibility problems are a result of the company simply not being aware of the issues involved and the solutions available. Usually few, if any, architectural changes are required. Programmers are so used to programming for mouse navigation, that they forget to include the standard keyboard options, (i.e. use the tab key to move to the next field, hit the alt key to move focus to the menu bar, etc). Microsoft has documented these programming tips/techniques to help make applications accessible. They can be found at:

formatting link

Any assistance in communicating with ELK would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Dennis

Robert L Bass wrote:

Reply to
Dennis

Robert,

It's really simpler then you might think to make the PC software accessible. There's no need to figure out how to interface it to either a braille or speech output device. That's all been done and is incorporated into our PC access software. What is required is that the software programmers be aware of the coding techniques, such as providing keyboard navigation for all functions, labeling graphics with text labels, use standard Windows controls rather then Custom controls, ETC. These are the programming techniques outlined in the Microsoft document.

NOW! Lets talk about making the "Control panels" and other interface hardware to the ELK system accessible. That's where some interesting work needs to be done. How about utilizing the voice capabilities already existing in the ELK panel to provide voice feedback for the control panel menu's and buttons as a starting point. As an incentive to the marketing department, don't forget our aging population, with their failing eyesight.

I would be thrilled to work with you and ELK in anyway I can to improve the accessibility of the ELK system.

Thanks

Dennis

Robert L Bass wrote:

Reply to
Dennis

Dennis,

Ah, yes. That makes sense. Let's follow up on it with ELK when the staff return from the EH Expo. BTW, I'm usually in Brazil during the Expo so unfortunately I rarely attend any more. But if you would like a guest pass let me know. I'd be glad to see to it that you receive one. Same is true for the CEDIA trade show (September, Indianapolis) except there's a fair chance I'll attend that one this year. If you're interested let me know.

It's not difficult to motivate ELK to improve their M1G system. The company is very open to requests for new features and capabilities. They're one of the few that will let dealers talk directly to the design engineers. Though they do prefer to deal with us, they'll still talk to end users when there's a need. I'll see what I can do.

Same here. I enjoy my job but it's even more fun when I get to do something creative. If that also helps make life easier for someone with special needs, so much the better.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

When we designed the software for Edwards, I was responsible for the UI and the help system. One of the things I insisted on was that every feature of the app have keyboard access. I also insisted that all tables be navigable using [tab] and [shift-tab]. To be honest, this had nothing to do with accessibility for blind users. It's because it's much faster accessing sequential and tabular data fields using the keyboard than by clicking the mouse.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I'm sure many here will view this as just another "rant" from one of your detractors, Robert. This is far from the case. Anyone that wishes can email me for the link to the EST site where you can download and install the Fireshield application, then view Robert's "efforts" first hand.

The Edwards FireShield "Help System" incorporates off-the-shelf software called RoboHELP. At one point in time Robert was using an online version for bass-home.com. RoboHELP is a trademark of "eHelp Corporation". Robert has no demonstrated involvement in either the company or in the physical design of the software. His only contribution to the FireShield help system involved inputing some sample help screens that use munged names and took childish "jabs" at some of the participants in alt.security.alarms. The software will actually stand as one of the best examples of "vendetta" in action.

Frank Olson

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.