doorbell camera/intercom

I'm having a few exterior doors replaced/rebuilt and I thought I'd take this opportunity to install some more gadgets while the walls are open. There are many doorbell camera/intercom units that talk over a single pair of wires (presumably to make it easy to replace a conventional button) but they seem to be pretty much closed systems. I saw one with a video output from the master panel, but it wasn't clear when it was active. I'd like to have standard video available at all times and a regular contact closure button. Anybody know of a (possibly older) system whose door-mounted component works this way? If not I'll just mount a separate camera, but some of the integrated devices look better...

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani
Loading thread data ...

Hi Dan,

Aiphone has a new standard (non-video) door station that comes with an optional pin-hole camera mounted behind the plate. It looks like an ordinary audio intercom station. The unit is called an LE-SSV. It works with the LEF series with which I believe you are familiar. How many master and sub stations do you need?

Aiphone is sending me a copy of the LE-SSV installation manual (it's not on their website yet). I can forward it to you if you like.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

In article , snipped-for-privacy@bassburglaralarms.com (Robert L Bass) writes: | > I'd like to have standard video available | > at all times and a regular contact closure | > button. Anybody know of a (possibly | > older) system whose door-mounted | > component works this way? | | Hi Dan, | | Aiphone has a new standard (non-video) door station that comes with an | optional pin-hole camera mounted behind the plate. It looks like an | ordinary audio intercom station.

Sounds like a good bet.

| The unit is called an LE-SSV.

Is there a picture of it handy online? (A quick search turned up only a few hits with no images.)

| It | works with the LEF series with which I believe you are familiar.

Nope, never looked at it.

| How | many master and sub stations do you need?

I would say from 0-1 and from 1-3, respectively, depending on whether I could integrate them well enough with my home automation system to not need a master at all.

| Aiphone is sending me a copy of the LE-SSV installation manual (it's | not on their website yet). I can forward it to you if you like.

Thanks; that would be great. I'm currently trying to create a path that will make it possible to fish wires later without violating the integrity of the monolithic lead flashing that's being installed under the whole door/sidelights unit. If I can't do that I'll run a couple of 4-pair and an RG59 into the (very small) cavity behind where the unit would mount.

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

| In article , snipped-for-privacy@bassburglaralarms.com (Robert L Bass) writes: | | > I'd like to have standard video available | | > at all times and a regular contact closure | | > button. Anybody know of a (possibly | | > older) system whose door-mounted | | > component works this way? | | | | Hi Dan, | | | | Aiphone has a new standard (non-video) door station that comes with an | | optional pin-hole camera mounted behind the plate. It looks like an | | ordinary audio intercom station. | | Sounds like a good bet.

Following up to my own message... I've also found the Channel Vision DP-5xxx series which looks reasonable. I'm ordering a DP-5232 to get a closer look.

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

I received the manual from Aiphone. In it were some low res images which I've inserted in the product page on my site. Unfortunately, Aiphone seems to have made this unit with industrial sites in mind. With a little ingenuity you could probably fit it into a bezel to give it a more pleasing appearance for residential use. Hre's a link:

formatting link

Reply to
Robert L Bass

In article , sales@comcast + net (Robert L Bass) writes: | I received the manual from Aiphone. In it were some low res images which | I've inserted in the product page on my site. Unfortunately, Aiphone seems | to have made this unit with industrial sites in mind. With a little | ingenuity you could probably fit it into a bezel to give it a more pleasing | appearance for residential use. Hre's a link: | |

formatting link
I have nothing against the stainless steel look; however, it seems to be a bit wider and somewhat deeper than the Channel Vision version. That could be a negative. Also the camera requires a lot more light. Even the Channel Vision unit might be too big for one location; I'll know better when I have the one I ordered in hand. By the way, do you sell the Channel Vision DP units?

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

Yes, everything they make. I can check my Monday if you like. I haven't installed any ChannelVision intercoms so I can't speak for their quality. I've installed lots of Aiphone though and it's excellent. Didn't you use Aiphone system at your previous home some years ago?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

| Didn't you use | Aiphone system at your previous home some years ago?

Nope. I use Aironet a lot though. That's the closest text match I can come up with. :)

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

Oh. I'm not familiar with Aironet.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.