biometric locksets -- experience?

Pardon if too far off the newsgroup focus, but I thought folks here might be most likely to have experience with these items.

Smarthome has been sending catalogs with fingerprint reading locksets and deadbolts. Anyone have any experience with these? I'm wondering how good their discrimination is -- do they always read a valid fingerprint and always reject an invalid one? Also wondering about the battery life -- any experience as to how often the batteries have to be changed? Finally, how about the locksets and deadbolts themselves? Are they good quality hardware?

Any experience, hearsay, whatever that anyone can offer will be appreciated.

Dennis M

Reply to
Dennis
Loading thread data ...

Your post is not off topic. Biometric locks and access controls are part of automation in general and are an occasional component of home automation systems.

Fingerprint locks on the whole are not 100% reliable. If you want to be more certain that only an authorized person is able to operate the lock, consider one that combines biometrics with a code pad in a logical AND mode. Note that the Smarthome model is dual tech but in a logical OR mode, which makes it weaker -- not stronger.

OTOH, most residences are so easy to break in without compromising the lock that a dual technology lock is probably overkill.

No and no. Even the fingerprint readers we sell to military customers are not absolutely reliable. They are better than most keyed locks and better than simple code locks but anything really critical still requires manned supervision. Reasonably secure fingerprint readers cost over $500 without a lock. Anything of the sort that you can buy for $180 is almost certainly a toy.

I haven't examined the Smarthome model directly but my nephew bought one that looked identical to it on eBay. It was pretty flimsy. He tried it on his college dorm room and tossed it after one semester.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

This has been a driving factor for me in designing my security system. For the longest time, I wasn't going to get electric strike plates, as I've always insisted on deadbolts. Electric deadbolts bring up the problem of "fail safe" vs. "fail secure."

People have also advised me against using RFID and other wireless technologies to disarm and unlock.

I finally decided, anything more difficult to defeat than "rock through window" isn't worth worrying about. A guy with an RFID sniffer is going to get into my house a lot less often than a guy with a rock. Best I can hope to do is provide barriers to the casual thief, and hope to ensure the alarm goes off on an unauthorized entry.

Reply to
E. Lee Dickinson

Yes... but the topic was biometric locksets. The promise of not having to carry a key or worrying about losing a passcard. The promise that the person being buzzed in is exactly and uniquely the person who has been authorized to pass.

Personally, I like the reliability of numeric coded keypads. They are biometric in the sense that the combination is "stored" in the users brain. Of course, the downside is that anyone else can get in if they somehow discover the code.

Beachcomber.

Reply to
Beachcomber

Precisely! A brief dissertation on home security follows. Hope some find this helpful.

There are a few things you can do without incurring considerable cost to enhance your home's security. The obvious stuff about keeping shrubbery trimmed and the exterior well lit has been mentioned hundreds of times but it still bears repeating.

Good locks should have at least a 1" (preferably 1-1/2") throw deadbolt. The strike plate should be set with 4" long, hardened screws so it ties into the framing member instead of just the thin pine of the door jamb. Self-locking door locks should have an anti-shim device so they can't easily be opened with a credit card.

The above should be part of your first line of defense. Bob Campbell, a friend from Canada who sells physical and electronic security systems has a wealth of information on ways to make your home physically secure in his website at

formatting link
Side note: Like me, Bob has a bit of a burr under his saddle for certain less-than-honorable members of the alarm industry and he uses his website as a forum to express those views.

An electronic security system should be your second line of defense after physical security. You might want to consider doing a full perimeter system, consisting of magnetic door and window sensors (called "contacts") backed up by acoustic glass break detectors in rooms where a thief is likely kick in a glass door, etc. Glass break detectors are not 100% reliable though. They are an enhancement but should not be considered primary protection.

If you don't have lots of animals running around, consider a few strategically placed motion detectors as well. These can serve double duty as alarm and occupancy sensors.

Look into smoke detection as well. It's an inexpensive enhancement that can save your house if the alarm is monitored. Note: I didn't say it will save your life because most modern homes in the US already have 110VAC smoke detectors that can save your life.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

this coming from an ex con with a BBB report as long as your arm.

formatting link
meethinks thou dost protest too mightily.

Reply to
Chub

Unfortunately, the current crop of consumer-grade biometric lock sets don't fulfill that promise. They are not sufficiently accurate to guaranty entry to authorized personnel nor do they reliably prevent unauthorized entry.

True indeed. There is one popular brand that comes with a default code (which I happen to know) and this provided opportunity for a bit of fun one day. I asked to use the lavatory in a pharmacy near Boston several years ago. The clerk said, "Sure. It's in the office. I'll let you in." As we approached the office door with her behind me I noticed the lock and on a hunch tried the default code. The door opened.

The clerk was astounded. When she asked how I did that I smiled and said something like, "It takes experience but after a while you can read the code by looking at the buttons". The moral is, if you use a coded lock please remember to change the code. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

You know, I've never met Robert Bass; never bought anything from him. My only opinion of him is formed from reading here for the last few months.

I've seen him post what seem to be informed, reasonable posts, and share his knowledge. I have not seen him spit venom at people he doesn't like (not to say he has never, but not that I've been online to see). Yes, he has a business and he mentions it or gives links to it. In my opinion, he is upfront about that and does so in a profressional manner. This is not a new idea. Why do you think Microsoft sponsors free Technet events or Proctor and Gamble has sponsored soap operas for 50 years or more.

On the other hand, Mr "chub", you are just rude.

You have a problem with him -- Fine. Guess what: I DON'T CARE. I don't like reading your vitrol in the morning. What do you think you are accomplishing? Stopping people from buying from him? Hurting him? (Sounds like revenge and a weak attempt at vindication.) Educating people? Well, you're not.

If he had something small I needed, I'd probably buy from him in a minute; given logistics of delivery and pricing. Were it to be a major purchase, I'd do my own due diligence and research and make my own decision, because I am a grown-up who is responsible for my own decisions. To be frank about it, if you and he were both selling something, I'd be much more likely to by from him just because of the way he posts and the way you post.

Lastly, Mr. Robert L Bass, like me, posts with a full name (that I assume is his own), and with a real way to contact him. I doubt you'll understand this concept, but this means that he is standing behind what he says. I've posted some things in the last 20 years that I really wish weren't still in Google. But, I haven't changed my name or started hiding behind fake names. It's part of being part of a community, my flaws are out there along with my successes (and I hope there is more of the latter than the former). There's accountability in that, that someone with a one-word psuednym and fake email address will never have.

I suspect I am wasting my keystrokes, but it was either that or do work.

- Byron

Reply to
Byron Hynes

Ditto! Leave Mr. Bass alone. Couldn't have stated it better myself...

Reply to
RoughRider

Thanks to all for replies. Sounds like I better let this stuff mature before plopping money into it. Though it also sounds like not many folks have actually tried these devices yet. Obviously one would still probably have to carry a key for those times when arriving home one found the batteries had given up the ghost, so it would have just been a matter of convienience when loaded down with packages to not have to fish around for one key of many on (in my case) three different keychains. There's work keys and house keys and a couple of cars worth of keys and motorcycle keys and church keys and various padlocks and luggage and, and, and --- suffice it to say that a grab into the pockey seldom brings up the right ring, let alone the right key.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dennis" Newsgroups: comp.home.automation Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2006 5:15 PM Subject: biometric locksets -- experience?

Reply to
Dennis

Dennis,

There is at a more mature technology which you might want to consider. Proximity readers can detect a card or key fob in your hand or in your pocket and unlock the door as you approach. These vary in price, functionality and operating range. There are numerous good quality, highly reliable models around, several of which I handle. If that's of interest, please let me know.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Spend all of about ten minutes reading what bAss posts in ASA and then tell us again what a well-mannered person he is. Mention his name in the rec.aviation group and see what a fine fellow they find him to be. Con artists are always the nicest people you could ever meet. His "knowledge" of the industry comes from reading manuals and not from hands on experience. The only reason he doesn't act up in here is because he trolls these waters for customers, and the bait he's using seems to be working because you oblivious knuckleheads actually support him. Don't confuse yourself with the facts, Byron. Apparently your opinion, based on what you READ, has more validity than the files of the Better Business Bureau, the Florida Department of Corrections, the Florida electrical board, the State of Connecticut's Department of Consumer Protection, etc, etc, etc. His entire business is based on lies but hey why should anyone care? Who needs laws anyway? Oh, if you have a problem with my reply, Guess What: I don't care either. If you ever decide to visit reality please stop by and say hello. My name is Tom Fowler and I'll be your tour guide.

Hey Chub, nice post. You'll have a hard time trying to get these jokers to see what a crock of crap bAss is. All these geeks care about is turning their ceiling fans on with a wristwatch to impress their friends. It's an illness, and they get what they deserve.

Byr> You know, I've never met Robert Bass; never bought anything from him. My

Reply to
alarminstall

get ready to be educated

In opposition to the group faq, how special. Birds of a feather flock together.

bingo

no just disrupting this newsgroup like he does in others and then saying tuff sh_t if you don't like it because you can't stop me, exactly like he does in other groups I frequent. As long as he is a bAss in ASA others will follow him and disrupt wherever he goes. That is the kind of impression he has made. He stops and we will stop. Deal?

You can't buy from me because I have nothing to sell. I suppose you didn't check out the BBB report. Have fun buying from bAss

I assume that is your name, I don't care, if so you get a star.

I suspect you're correct on this idea.

Reply to
chub

I am not trying to get these birds of a feather to unflock with bAss. Just doing here what he does in ASA. Alittle tit for tat. Childish, huh.;) He can run but he can't hide. thanks

Reply to
chub

ASA is a cesspool. Don't waste your time in it.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Yeah, there's a whole legion of these nitwits. None of whom seem to have enough integrity to actually post with anything other than forged addresses. Cowards, really.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Hi Dennis,

How about a lock, that is a dead bolt, uses keypad input, and absolutely would never require you to carry a backup key, not to mention it is impervious to power outages. In terms of this forum it does have one big draw back, it can not be incorporated into a HA system because it is not electronic, keys and house keys and a couple of cars worth of keys and motorcycle keys

Reply to
Dennis

OTOH, some places are easier to get into than to get out of ;)

Reply to
Nick Hull

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.