(a bit OT) PCB Design Software

For HA usage, I design a small PCB a few times a year, and have been using PC Logic "Circuit Layout" (v3.1) for some time...

There seems to be no support or upgrades available (last was 4 years back), and I'm looking for a product to replace it (yes, I did buy Circuit Layout, so it doesn't need to be freeware.)

My requirements are simple

- usually "regular" components, but chance of an occasional SMT part

- usually single sided, and at most dual sided.

-print to printer or export image of PCB for documentation

-runs on win2k

Wish list: I'd like the tool to also be able to draw schematics

Anybody got a suggestion for SW? (

Reply to
AZ Woody
Loading thread data ...

I also have Circuit Layout along with the companion schematic software (which I really don't use). I'm afraid they've gone out of business.

I've looked at a few others recently but really haven't found anything I feel as comfortable with.

formatting link
formatting link
You might try the forums at Spark Fun Electronics.

Olimex has a page with l>For HA usage, I design a small PCB a few times a year, and have been using

Reply to
Dave Houston

You might take a look at Eagle

formatting link
I've been using it for exactly this same purpose for a few years now and have been very happy with it. The package consists of three integrated pieces - the schematic editor, the layout editor and an autorouter. There are three levels of pricing. The entry level is free but only does up to two layer 100x80mm boards. Next up is the standard package ($600) that does 4 layers and 160x100mm boards. The professional version has no limitations. Another nice thing is that they also have a non-profit deal where, if you're using the package for personal use, you can get the standard package for $125. That's what I did and I find I can do pretty much anything I need. Good documentation, a big included library (although it's easy to add your own parts) and an active user community forum make it a very nice product. Easy to generate gerbers, although some fab shops, such as Olimex, will take the Eagle .brd file directly.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Harper

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.